This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wife has left now

however her 21 year old step daughter is still in the house!!

She already thinks Im the devil incarnate. It makes me sooooo uneasy being in the house with her alone.

However, I know that thinks is a Canadian Website but on a point of principle. For two months now Ive had no money from her in the way of rent money, money for the bills etc.

How do I handle this?

Give her a good dose of reality? No rent money no room? I was promised £100 per month, that is waaaaaaaaay to cheap especially when she wouldnt get a broom cupboard for that.

My step daughter is free loading.

How do I stand on that. Can I demand her to go? Now that her mother is no longer in the house?

She's 21 and an adult, makes you feel uneasy, has promised to pay you $$$ but has not delivered, is freeloading, and not your flesh and blood, and no name on the house ... um, what do you think???

Make a decision but be a good person and give her some advance warning so that she can better prepare herself. Do not be angry but explain in a calm and rational way ... if she 'blows up' at you ask her to leave, immediately.

It's called tough love! Do what you think is right in your heart.

Hubby

Comment

Hi! I'm new, but I have to agree with hubby. If she's not adding value to the household (either by way of rent or by helping out around the house in leiu of rent) then she needs to pursue other arrangements.

Just to keep the peace and not appear the evil step-dad, I would sit her down and help her come up with a plan for moving out in the next 30 days (or whatever timeframe you feel is reasonable) Help her come up with the plan, but make sure she understands that SHE is responsible for carrying it out.

If she gets an attitude, show her the door. Freeloading is freeloading and no one should have to tolerate that in their own home, whether from family (extended or otherwise) or anyone else.

Comment

You are right

Hiya I agree with you both. She is so not adding value to the household (either by way of rent or by helping out around the house in leiu of rent) then she will have to make other arrangements.

How ever whilst she is therefore any lawyer when told by my xwife to be "Hes a nasty man and he threw us out", well arent they going to say "Er but your daughter is still in the house". I would love to be a fly on the wall when she explains. Surely she hasnt got a leg to stand on??

I never wanted to be the evil step-dad, I want her out now, but I dont eant to add credence to my Xwife to be's accusations.

She will get n attitude, and all I will do is open the front door and point to the street.. Freeloading is freeloading , you are so right.

Hubby I couldnt have put it better myself,

"She's 21 and an adult, makes you feel uneasy, has promised to pay you $$$ but has not delivered, is freeloading, and not your flesh and blood, and no name on the house ... um, what do you think???"

Last friday she put a £100 in an envelope on my bed. I found it when I come in from work. One hundred pounds! She expected that was enough. Food bills and everything else. that is £25 a week!

Well she is in for a shock.

I have been letting the food in the house run out. If she wants food she can buy it herself!

I have been buying food buy I take it to my mums so that mum can share it with me.

Mum mum is far more deserving, than a 21 year old immature girl that thinks the world owes her a living.

Like you said Hubby. tough love.

Jack

Comment

Shes gone

The girl left me a note
          "As you are aware that me and the cat are now living in Birmingham til we find somewhere to live (erm so where is she living now then?) My stuff will remain at the house til we find some where to live"

Well no one can say I threw her out as she condemned herself by her own hand!

Now all I have to do is defend the house!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X