This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bankruptcy

Hello everyone: we are all in various stages of pre-divorce or post-divorce hell in varying degrees. Nice to know we are in good company Please: has ANYONE had their ex file a bankruptcy and had ALL of the ex's bills dumped on them? I'm a single mother, 1 child 13 yrs old. 4 years ago, my ex ran up every credit card, gambled, travelled extensively w/his then gf (now wife) and I got all of the debt dumped onto me. Is there anyone else on here in this unenviable situation? We had a business together. The ex is UNdischarged from the bankruptcy and has continued to incur massive debt. He drives a luxury car, has 2 small children, travels, spends money like there's no tomorrow and he's "bankrupt" _ this will be heard in Court (a one day hearing not scheduled yet) but the entire matter is a veritable nightmare. Has anyone experienced a situation similar to this? And if so, what steps did you take to get out of the abyss?? I am DROWNING. I am listed as an opposing Creditor to his "estate" but I'm told I will never see a dime. Its well over $45,000. Please if anyone has any personal experience to share, or some advice, I'd really appreciate it! Thank you,

Try and disentangle all the debt that was co-signed and 'guaranteed' with your signature. Get true copies of all said documents.

Try and split this problem in two: a) the creditors from your ex's bankruptcy will come after you if you were a signatory on those debts, this has very little to do with family law.

b) Have you settled equalization issues with the ex? If not you may recover some of the debt, claiming joint debt, on the division of assets.

Your ex may have violated the terms of an undischarged bankrupt by seeking further credit.

Is your ex currently working?

Comment

Yeah the bankruptcy (totally fraudulent) is just a "bonus" on top of Separation. We were common law for 10 years. Yes he's working. He has our former company, all he did was change the name and carried on. He is undischarged coming up to 4 years. We split (Thank God!!) 4.5 years ago. The house I live in, is in my name only. There is no equalization to be dealt with. We JUST had Family Court Trial last April. The other matter will be dealt with in Court downtown. I had to file a Consumer Proposal. I am paying his debts. I explored every option before I entered into the proposal. I did not want to lose my house. He continues to acquire more debt and even in Family Court it was determined by the Judge that he has $60k in UNdeclared income. His trustee has been advised of this, an much more and done little. It will go to court but I won't see a penny of what he owes me. If he "decides" to stay undischarged, there is really NO (short-term) repercussions for him or penalty. Our system is insane. If he'd pulled this sh*t in the States, he'd be in jail where he belongs. It's Fraud. All of it. That's okay in this country though. All he's done is LIE and lie s'more - Pitiful. I want to find other ppl who have been put in sanme boat as me and even better if their ex filed their BS bankruptcy with the same trustee. If I can find a couple more of "me" - I'd explore the possibility of a Class Action Suit. His Trustee became aware VERY early on, that this was not someone down on their luck - "an honest but unfortunate debtor" - au contraire - yet Nothing was done. I am the sacrificial lamb. And I sure as hell have been led to slaughter over the past 4 years. OMG- as if Family Court is not bad enough - to have this to deal with as well: NOT FUN. Thx for your input,

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X