Is this normal behaviour??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this normal behaviour??

So during our CC, the judge gave us until the 15th to exchange disclosures. I scrambled to get everything together so we could send the info over to the stbx's lawyer.

We were expecting their disclosures in return the same night.....NOTHING!!..we're on day 9 (past due) and we still haven't gotten their disclosures. I had my lawyer send a letter basically asking what's up??...that was 2 days ago??

I'm sitting in the Dark here...

Is this normal??..Opposing council NOT responding at ALL??

we've threatened to take this straight to SC..

any advice??

Totally normal unfortunately. The lawyer would provide the info if it had been given.

Welcome to family law, but I don't know what a threat to SC would accomplish. I would be asking for my lawyer to file a motion to determine issues in the interim despite lack of disclosure, not bringing it to another conference where nothing could get accomplished.

Comment

File a motion to order disclosure, request costs due to their non compliance.

Comment

Originally posted by mom2three View Post
        Totally normal unfortunately. The lawyer would provide the info if it had been given.

Welcome to family law, but I don't know what a threat to SC would accomplish. I would be asking for my lawyer to file a motion to determine issues in the interim despite lack of disclosure, not bringing it to another conference where nothing could get accomplished.
        hey mom:

yea we've only had a 4 way sit down, then a CC so far (during 4 way stbx and her lawyer stormed out)..judge made his opinions during the CC..my lawyer and I followed through on our end, stbx and hers didn't..

I'm pretty pissed..

Comment

Originally posted by NBDad View Post
          File a motion to order disclosure, request costs due to their non compliance.

Thats a good idea NBDad...thanks

Comment

Yes, totally normal when opposing counsel conducts him/herself like a douche. And there's far too much of that, that goes on. Theoretically, this should not be the case. Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by hadenough View Post
              Yes, totally normal when opposing counsel conducts him/herself like a douche. And there's far too much of that, that goes on. Theoretically, this should not be the case. Best of luck.
              well...like I mentioned...we threatened to go straight to SC (seeing as they don't really want to communicate with us by the lack of the disclosures)...

I guess we'll come up with an OTS..fax it over and see if they reply to that one.

if not...I really can't see anything other than a SC, no??

Comment

Its unfortunately very common...I'm in the same boat...and I'm at a late stage too, so at this point, I don't have time to wait.

I basically estimated what I didn't have and made an offer to settle based on that. Its not ideal and you have to use the data you have. If its any consolation..if you're reasonable, its exactly the same process the court will use in the event of a trial...they'll extrapolate, use the data at hand, and guess on the high side against the non-disclosing party.

I've tried everything...questioning/undertakings, multiple motions, etc...hasn't worked.

You have to move on with what you have. Pull together what you can as evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Pursuinghappiness View Post
                  Its unfortunately very common...I'm in the same boat...and I'm at a late stage too, so at this point, I don't have time to wait.

I basically estimated what I didn't have and made an offer to settle based on that. Its not ideal and you have to use the data you have. If its any consolation..if you're reasonable, its exactly the same process the court will use in the event of a trial...they'll extrapolate, use the data at hand, and guess on the high side against the non-disclosing party.

I've tried everything...questioning/undertakings, multiple motions, etc...hasn't worked.

You have to move on with what you have. Pull together what you can as evidence.

I'm the "repondant" here, Pursuing...we've asked for the "applicant" (the stbx) to give us some disclosures and she hasn't...the judge agreed with both parties that we were to exchange disclosures within a certain date.

I'm looking to make a OTS for SS now that they haven't responded from my letter asking for their disclosures......I'll bring it in on the low side (within the ranges the judge suggested during the CC) and I'd be surprised if the Stbx and her lawyer didn't respond..

what a game!!...unreal!!

Comment

Yes..i'm the respondent too because when I asked for mediation at the beginning of the separation process...my ex decided to decline and instead tried to do the "shock and awe" approach and served me with divorce papers full of crap.

Its pretty typical for HC litigants to do this type of thing and then stall when they realize they're going to be paying up for equalization...very very common.

By the way, if you're going after SS and he hasn't disclosed his income...don't ask for low...ask for median range. Its probably what you'll get at motion and its worth asking for. Judges don't like litigants that screw around either and there's very few punitive measures they have...awarding higher SS is one of them. Ask for median range.

Send as few letters as possible and always send them with a reasonable time period and a warning that a motion is going to follow. Letters probably won't get you anywhere except to help you get awarded costs...you're going to need to file motions to get stuff done (and even that doesn't always work)....sorry.

Comment

Ask your lawyer to take out an Order on the endorsement made at the case conference. Rely on this for a contempt motion.

The opposing lawyer may not be responding because:
                      - No retainer funds;
                      - No instructions (client AWOL);
                      - No disclosure from client yet, hoping to provide it and move on;
                      - Lawyer is sick, on vacation, etc; or
                      - none of the above.

The motivating factor in a family law case is need. What will you do with the disclosure when you have it? Are you hoping to rely on it to obtain child support or spousal support? If yes, push to get it. If you are happy with the status quo - for example, if you aren't paying support but expect to do so someday - then there is no need to incur costs for no gain.

Comment

I'm the respondant awaiting disclosures to help us (my lawyer included) on what to do in regards to paying SS and CS...the disclosures are actually a mitigating factor really!!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                        Working...
                        X