This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single parent support groups - Ottawa

I'm just wondering if there are any single parent support groups (free) in the Ottawa area?

I've been separated since Sept and some times, it is really hard on me, mentally and would love to have someone to talk to and to get some helpful feedback or ideas.
    For some reason, since the separation, my family and friends seemed to have disapeared...very weird and un-nerving.

Thanks.

Separation/divorce is a difficult time not just for the first line (spouses, children) but for friends and relatives. Some people simply don't want to get caught in the line-of-fire and, while they wish you and your ex the best, may resort into a sort of self preserving mode.

Sometimes people disappear because they have a deep-seated fear of going through what you are experiencing.

I actually had one friend (or so I thought) who dropped me immediately when I separated from my husband. I was very hurt by this as I had stood by her side while she went through many serious life-threatening medical issues. It turns out that there was a side of her I did not know. She was highly superstitious and thought the bad Karma would rub off on her.

Then there are those people who never really were your friends in the first place. The people who love to party and have a great time and that's about it. Usually these sorts are total takers and not givers.

Separation/divorce, and many other obstacles we go through in life, tend to separate the true friends from the "people you know." I'd take one or two really good friends over a slew of party pals any day.

Do take this time to self-reflect and be very careful not to dump all of your problems on your friends. No one wants to be around a self-pitying depressed person. Your marital problems will quite possibly take several years to resolve and problems can extend well after you are divorced. You have to learn to compartmentalize things so you don't drive good friends away.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

I've only ever had 1-2 good friends most of my life..I don't dump on anyone, not my style... but I sure as hell wish friends/family would at least call to see how I'm doing. Frustarting and hurtful and lonely!

That is why I'm looking for some groups that meet in the Ottawa/Cornwall area.

Tanks,

Comment

You can try meetup.com

There are several groups for seperated/divorced parents on there

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X