Spousal support ammount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spousal support ammount

My ex common law spouse has just fouind another boyfriend after only 5 days after our break up.She left the home and i payed for a motel for her for a week.Told her to look for an apartment and i would pay damage deposit.But she has done nothing except demand money from me.She has a full time job.If this new relationship works out for her and they move in together will this affect spousal support amount when she decides to take me to court later?thanks for any info you can give me.

How long were the two of you together? Any kids?
    Own or rent the home?
    Does she work? Do you?
    Ballpark earnings for both of you last year?

Comment

Your questions got answered when you asked back in December did they not?

You lived together for 2 years with her 16 year old son. She has a job. You've owned the home since 2006 and you made the mortgage payments. 16 year old's father never paid any support. That right?

Comment

You should not have to pay any spousal support as this is only a 2yr relationship. Just tell her that you will not be providing any more money.

I would not care much about her new relationship as you should not have to pay support in the first place.

She is working and should be able to support herself.

Comment

To answer several questions you have.

No you cannot be considered to be in common law marriage if you are not legally divorced- I know because my partner is not divorced and when we bought our house lawyer advised us on this.

If you are not legally divorced then why would you need her income for your taxes? You cannot be legally in two marriages at once that is called bigamy.

I have lived with my partner for years now and I am still not considered common law as we are tenants in common.

There should be no CS nor SS. She is self sufficient and the child is 16. Any CS should be coming from bio father not you. You are not even considered step father due to being legally married to someone else (again reference back to bigamy).

If you purchased the house in 2006 hate to be captain obvious but you haven't really got any equity in your home yet. Don't fret she is not entitled to anything anyways.

Like I said comes down to you not being legally divorced.

No worries. Best advice I got was don't let them see your frustration. When you are caught face to face smile and wave. Don't be confrontational and argumentative it goes along way. Wait until you get in car and then blow your lid when you are alone. Don't email or text either as these can get angry and can be used against you, if she has a lawyer that is just leading her down a garden path with promises of free ride.

Let us know how things go.

Comment

Stop taking her calls, stop giving her money!

You can't complain about her asking for money when you are giving her what she wants.
            IF she had a leg to stand on she would have gone to a lawyer by now.

Even if she does, she has no case.

Cut the cord and move on with your life! I'm sure you can use the time to focus on better things than this.

That my thoughts on it.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X