Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to court general tips

Hello,

I am bringing a motion to change our final order. I have studied the Self Help guide on the ontariocourtforms.on.ca and searched this forum for helpful treads. I have my forms filled out and ready to bring them to the court house. I have some general questions about the Ottawa Family Court Branch on Elgin.

Sadly I know that many members of this forum have been to this court house numerous times. Based on your experience how long does it take to file the documents? What is the best time to go (morning , lunch , after 3pm? ) Is it a one place stop ? I need to swear my affidavit, pay the fees and file my documents. Can I make photocopies there? My previous lawyer had all her documents nicely bound with a colorful cover page, can I file my documents in a standard binder instead?

The court hours are 8.30am - 5 pm Monday to Friday, I am trying to plan well so I would maximize my time at the court since I have to take time off work.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

All right, I will answer my own post – maybe it will be useful to some other parents who decide to self represent. The Family Law help center is located on the main floor, on the right hand side of the court house on Elgin St. The Family Law Clerk decks are right after. The Help Center is open until 4pm and the Clerk desks until 5pm ( you need to take a number to be served). I came there at 3.20pm on Friday and it was not very busy , waited about 20 minutes to see a clerk. I can say that a lot of people showed up closer to four o’clock. At 4pm a message appeared that nobody will be served after 5.00pm. The clerk told me that ideally, since I am self representing, I should go to the family help center first – they would help me to make sure I have the right documents – they also have commissionaires for taking affidavits. Photocopies and computers are also available. The Clerk also pointed out that one of my forms was outdated , google took me to the attorney general website which has some old forms. He still accepted them, but told me to make sure in the future, I use forms from http://ontariocourtforms.on.ca/en/fa...w-rules-forms/. He explained to me what will happen at the first appearance and was courteous and polite. Overall, I found the whole experience positive

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X