Update on Co-Parent Counselling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update on Co-Parent Counselling

I thought I'd provide an update since I've always found those threads really helpful on this board.

We had our first session with a jointly selected family therapist yesterday. It was 1.5hrs.

Prior to this we have had some really good conversations about our daughter (she's 2) and her eating- mainly us talking about what we observe about her behaviour, etc... and me giving him tips- e.g. she still hates biting things, but prefers to eat on her own. I've sent recipes and other safe foods she likes...so I thought things were getting better?

hoooo-boy was I wrong. Because the counselling session is closed- I guess it's a good thing because it allows us to say what we need to stay- and stbx did just that. Twice during the session the counsellor had to stop him and say "that sounds a lot like a threat- and it's not helpful". Once was in response to him saying "mark my words- mark it down. We're going to end up at the University Ave courthouse fighting this."

He was mad because my lawyer sent over a consent order for temporary child support stating that we would like it registered with FRO. And that barring an agreement on the support amount- and s7 expenses- we would be bringing a motion. This is after he sent her support payment (for dec 1) a week ago by e-transfer but wouldn't send the password. I'm not about to play these games. He wants me to ask for it. I asked on OFW and he was radio silence for a week.

Anyways back to counselling. Although I think the general idea is to move forward- she wanted to take us back- the two of us...to how we got here. The idea is to work on our communication. She wanted us to face the violence head on. Some good things came out of it- but unfortunately a lot of it was just him trying to justify his actions with respect to the domestic violence. He kept trying to qualify his violence- to the point where the counsellor actually said "when you own something- your actions or your words, and apologize- you don't say 'BUT'..." Then he launched in to how I was as abusive as well. To be fair- I have my own codependency issues which I continue to work on. I acknowledged that I said unkind things and was controlling. I have my own history and I have to deal with that.

Anyways- in the end I don't know that we got a lot accomplished. She told us to sit tight- stop trying to work out side deals (that was really directed to me)...and wait for the OCL disclosure. I was trying to wheel and deal my own deal- but that is dumb. I asked for the OCL to be involved for a reason- and I am going to have to sit on my hands and wait.

The only thing I am faced with now is whether to consent to his parenting time to be unsupervised. My gut says it's okay- but my lawyer, and basically everyone around me keeps yelling at me to wait for the OCL disclosure. And that's what I will do...It should be coming in January.
    Last edited by iona6656; 12-14-2018, 11:29 AM.

"He was mad because my lawyer said we would be bringing a motion" ~ what a bad guy
    "He threatened me by not agreeing and saying we'll have to go to court" ~ what a bad guy

Unless this was counseling in the hopes of getting back together, then it was wrong to focus on the past where you both made mistakes. I would get solo counseling if that is still needed, but together you should have been taking about the kids and working together moving forward.

At least you can admit that you're still emotional and controlling. Most of your posts support that.

Based on what you mentioned, there is nothing bad the ocl report will say which would result in shared or eow recommendation. He'll say he is her dad, feeds her and she's fine, but it doesn't sound like you would be willing to start the new schedule right away regardless. Therefore, if it were me, I would start agreeing to extra time with at least 1 overnight right away so I could ensure it was a shorter period but still make sure everything was ok. This should help you feel better about sharing your child with the fun dad who's 3rd in line.

Comment

Actually- I don't think it was wrong, at all, to address past issues. There is a giant pink elephant in the room. And that needs to be addressed. It would be insane to say "well, you both said some stuff. I know he threatened to kill you and your kid- and regularly terrorized you and threatened violence...BUT LET'S FOCUS ON MOVING FORWARD! " ....she's trying to build trust on both ends.

Ahhh, I was waiting for one of your posts to call me the hysterical ex-wife, I think you forgot 'crazy' as well. Pretty much everyone who is on here is 'emotional' if they're going through a divorce and custody battle. As to controlling. Sure I'll take that. I am. BUT, do I know that I gave up control over what my kid does the minute I separated? I do.

Also- I've already agreed to extra time...What I didn't agree to on his timeline- which is why he went near nuclear on me is removal of supervision yesterday. I'm not dumb, that's coming. As are overnights. I'm not going to fight a court battle over either of those.

Comment

A bit off topic but may be helpful for future...

If he is e-transfering support payments, go to your online account and activate auto deposit - no password required.

Comment

What blink said.

Also , when we did counselling, the therpaiat made us sign a document that we wouldn't be bringing any motions until counselling was finished.

Threatening a motion in the middle of counselling is not helpful.

Just sit tight until the OCL disclosure.
          Last edited by tunnelight; 12-14-2018, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by iona6656 View Post
            Actually- I don't think it was wrong, at all, to address past issues. There is a giant pink elephant in the room. And that needs to be addressed. It would be insane to say "well, you both said some stuff. I know he threatened to kill you and your kid- and regularly terrorized you and threatened violence...BUT LET'S FOCUS ON MOVING FORWARD! " ....she's trying to build trust on both ends.
            The past is the past. He admitted to it, got in trouble/paid for it, completed the anger management/pas counseling, ocl and completed supervised access while starting an application with the court for his child. Really, apart from the very occasional email, you two never have to see or speak to each other again...

Ahhh, I was waiting for one of your posts to call me the hysterical ex-wife, I think you forgot 'crazy' as well. Pretty much everyone who is on here is 'emotional' if they're going through a divorce and custody battle.
            This has nothing to do with gender and I don't think you're crazy. I just took interest in your case given the amount of times you mentioned your job, while 100% acting like an emotional client- ignoring rules and laws while proclaiming what is fair.

As to controlling. Sure I'll take that. I am. BUT, do I know that I gave up control over what my kid does the minute I separated? I do.
            I'm not sure if you do realize that yet, as you continue to control every step while looking to diminish his role with each thread.

Also- I've already agreed to extra time...What I didn't agree to on his timeline- which is why he went near nuclear on me is removal of supervision yesterday. I'm not dumb, that's coming. As are overnights. I'm not going to fight a court battle over either of those.
            So he's been through the supervised center with no issues. Continued with family supervision with no issue. You increased his hours with no issue. It's been months. At what point will you be ok with unsupervised access, let alone overnights??

Didn't your ex bring you to court for unsupervised overnight access, among other things; so you are fighting a court battle, or at least delaying the inevitable for as long as possible. For you, you would be better off coming up with your own agreement and controlling the outcome. For your ex, his position can only get better so court is a good option.

Comment

iono6656, I really admire how calm and unruffled you have been through this court case and the the posters attacking you on this board. (I really wish this board was moderated to remove the gender-based attacks that buries the nuggets of wisdom). Thanks for sharing your experience. The next sessions should be more productive as the counsellor will have had the to process their reactions about both of you. Good luck.

Comment

I give you both credit for even trying therapy. I think it would be hard in the mist of litigation but well worth a shot. This was just one session, hopefully after a few more both of you will get something out of it. And if you dont, at least you tried.

I'll scream at you too, WAIT FOR OCL!!! Too me, its one more resource both parents will have to come to some sort of resolution.

Comment

The purpose of this therapy was to help you work on communicating better yes? Then bringing threats in won’t work. While you have some issues (and controlling is a serious one) if he is threatening you in therapy to improve communications, therapy won’t work.

Wait for ocl. It seems like you want to solve this immediately but that isnt how it works. CS is separate and he should be paying it. By refusing to agree on something basic, he proves he is using it to get what he wants.

Comment

Originally posted by tunnelight View Post
                    What blink said.

Also , when we did counselling, the therpaiat made us sign a document that we wouldn't be bringing any motions until counselling was finished.

Threatening a motion in the middle of counselling is not helpful.

Just sit tight until the OCL disclosure.
                    That's a great idea- I will suggest it at our next session. I will ask my lawyer not to push for the consent order. To be fair- my request for CS and threat of a motion took place at least a month ago.

Like Rocksan said- he's trying to use it as a bargaining chip. But he did send the child support payment *right* after our session because the counsellor asked us both to abide by the commitments we've made.

Comment

Originally posted by StillPaying View Post
                      The past is the past. He admitted to it, got in trouble/paid for it, completed the anger management/pas counseling, ocl and completed supervised access while starting an application with the court for his child. Really, apart from the very occasional email, you two never have to see or speak to each other again...
                      It doesn't work that way with abuse. While I have my own work to do...if either of us really wants a healthy co-parent relationship it actually takes work...like any relationship. When you have a high needs kids with severe allergies- you HAVE to be on good talking terms. She has regular allergic reactions (most are mild to moderate) because she's still trying new foods all the time. We need to be able to talk and share information. To do that- we (re: I) need to have a level of trust about my safety.

Also- this is not a heated fight we had. He threatened to slit his own child's throat while she was sleeping. This is not normal aggravated behaviour. It's not a matter of 'paying' for it...I need to determine if he gets the gravity of what happened. I don't know if he does. [/quote]

This has nothing to do with gender and I don't think you're crazy. I just took interest in your case given the amount of times you mentioned your job, while 100% acting like an emotional client- ignoring rules and laws while proclaiming what is fair.
                      What rules or law am I ignoring?

I'm not sure if you do realize that yet, as you continue to control every step while looking to diminish his role with each thread.
                      I am working invidually with my own therapist to deal with my control issues. I'm aware of it. By my nature- and esp. the nature of my job I tend to be type A. As to his diminished role. 100% disagree. If there is at all a silver lining to any of this- it's that he's way more involved in her care now- than he ever was. He spends much more quality time with her. He loves it- she loves it. I'm happy about it actually. I'm happy to have his role in her life continue strong and increase...as long as she's safe and cared for.

So he's been through the supervised center with no issues. Continued with family supervision with no issue. You increased his hours with no issue. It's been months. At what point will you be ok with unsupervised access, let alone overnights??
                      When the OCL makes their recommendations. I tried asking numerous agencies and private therapists to help me determine if her dad truly was safe for her given what he's done and said in the past. The OCL was the only avenue that would evaluate this and help us. CAS opened an investigation but told me that they wouldn't continue on the basis that she was no longer in his care. But if he was to have shared time they may have concerns. But let's be real- they need to spend their resources on children who don't have the police, lawyers, therapists and the courts helping sort stuff out. And I don't begrudge them that at all.

Didn't your ex bring you to court for unsupervised overnight access, among other things; so you are fighting a court battle, or at least delaying the inevitable for as long as possible. For you, you would be better off coming up with your own agreement and controlling the outcome. For your ex, his position can only get better so court is a good option.
                      No, the only reason he started the application was because after his initial charges- one of the bail conditions said the only way he could see our daughter was via a family court order.

So he had to start an application to begin his parenting time. To date, we've done everything on consent. I did not make him bring the application or even a motion to increase access time, change supervision, etc...when I asked for OCL involvement- he consented. It was to his benefit as numerous people have pointed out here-it can only help him. The charges against him were not false. They have now been 100% resolved though as he has successfully completed the PARs course and 10 sessions of therapy. He received an absolute discharge.

While we both have it in our power to control our own outcome- as someone on here said - it only works if both parties are willing to compromise on their position. I am willing to. But I will not be bullied or intimidated into doing it. If he wants to co-parent- then he needs to start treating me with some respect and not shout, threaten or berate me (if you want an example- he called me ugly and my efforts to better myself "pathetic" in counseling). I gave him way too much credit before believing that he'd be able to hide those behaviours from outside parties. He couldn't.

So while it's been ugly so far...I know that our daughter's best chance at happiness is to have her parents be able to tolerate each other and work together. I'll keep trying.
                      Last edited by iona6656; 12-17-2018, 10:58 AM.

Comment

I assure you, co-parenting of shared children can successfully be done with neither one of you ever seeing each other again. No need to worry about your safety with communication books, emails or ofw.

If the police, criminal court, cas, ocl, supervised centre, counselors, etc have no concerns, then you may have to move on with only your own counseling to figure out what happened and why to appease your feelings.

A lot of controlling parents feel that they had to make the other parent beg and go through years of court to see their children, as proof for themselves that it was all worth it. That now they are a better parent for it.

I find it interesting that you don't see your threads as diminishing your ex's role.
                        - how do I tell ocl all ex's bad stuff without looking bad
                        - how to get joint custody with final say
                        - I make a lot more and don't need the funds, how to hold proceeds in trust
                        - i think ex lives too far
                        - what's 40%
                        - how to handle child asking to see ex more
                        - I want to settle but I'll wait for ocl
                        - ex got a massage and lap dance, how do I tell ocl and counselor

According to you, your ex has always been a presence, fun dad, in your child's life. Even immediately after separation, whether you believe it was only because he had to or not, you didn't and he brought an application to fight for his child. Although temporarily supervised, if cas had an issue they would continue to be involved. So with the court, police, cas, ocl, supervised centers, counseling, etc, you still have your own positive views of his parenting; although worried about cooking. You should be able to predict what the ocl will say.

But let's play devil's advocate. Let's say ocl says no access, should your child have no access to her dad? If they say only 2 overnights, can your child not do more?

Again, he could berate and belittle you in emails and could still successfully co-parent with you; despite your feelings.

Comment

Again, he could berate and belittle you in emails and could still successfully co-parent with you; despite your feelings.
                          And with that- I'm done listening to anything you have to say. To say something like this means you don't understand the point of co-parenting.

Comment

Soon you'll realize it's only about the child. Family court won't care about your feelings. This is someone you don't like, clearly, but if he's good to the child then no one will care what you feel a co-parent should be.

Comment

Soon you'll realize it's only about the child. Family court won't care about your feelings. This is someone you don't like, clearly, but if he's good to the child then no one will care what you feel a co-parent should be.
                              Good to the child??? He threatened to slit the child's throat!!!

From what I understand, if your not willing to co-parent or at least communicate then one parent should have sole custody. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X