Changing status with Revenue Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing status with Revenue Canada

We haven't changed our marital status with revenue Canada, does that affect our separation agreement and the date of separation.

Our separation has been over a year but the marital status hasn't been done.
    Please help, as I want to file for divorce.

Only difference it may make is if you received benefits based on the others income or if you filed as still married and not separated. If changing your marital status means you received money you otherwise wouldn’t be entitled to you’ll be stuck paying it back. How have you filed taxes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

One (or both) of you ought to have notified CRA of your change in marital status once you had been separated 90 days. It would be retroactively effective as of date of separation and, as Berner mentioned, it does affect entitlement to certain income tested benefits, which are based on "household income".

This can work both ways, maybe you got $ you were not entitled to, OR perhaps you didn't get some that you should have, or neither...There is a form RC65 to fill out and submit, or if you have a CRA "my account" set up you can also do it online. Best to do this as soon as you are able.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X