Spousal Support Guidelines - Canada - Even Uglier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spousal Support Guidelines - Canada - Even Uglier

Everyone should take a look at this link specifically the first paper in section 4 titled "6 errors you could make using the SSAG (but shouldn't and now won't)" This Law Professor has the gaul to complain that most judges order the midpoint for spousal support. Well my retort is that you set it up that way and of course everyone will focus on the midpoint because that is perceived to be fair. The reality is that the midpoint means the non custodial parent (usually the woman) gets 55% of the income and the non custodial parent (usually the man) gets 45%. Hmmm how about the midpoint being 50/50 and then we deviate from that based on circumstances? The only way the custodial parent should get 55% of the income is if they work full time to the best of their ability AND take care of the children. We all know that isn't the reality in most cases. Compounding the problem is all the errors lawyers make entering financial information plus the Divorcemate program is severely flawed itself. I've analyzed cases where its not surprising to see the custodial parent getting 60%, 70% or even 80% of the income due to lawyer incompetence. He had trouble getting it to only 6 errors. I had trouble getting it to less than 100 errors. Of course what do you expect from law professors, lawyers and judges all of whom have zero financial background and zero financial knowledge? Here is the link.

Spousal Support Advisory Guidelines | Bora Laskin Law Library

Originally posted by Desperate_Dad View Post
    Hmmm how about the midpoint being 50/50 and then we deviate from that based on circumstances? The only way the custodial parent should get 55% of the income is if they work full time to the best of their ability AND take care of the children. We all know that isn't the reality in most cases.
    So not true.

I've always worked full-time - didn't eve take a full 12 month mat leave and I've always taken care of the kids.

Come to think of it, so did my mother and her mother.

Where do these outlandish generalizations come from?

I know ZERO stay-at-home moms. ZERO.

Comment

So are you saying your ex doesn't take the children at all? No every other week? nothing? The reality is that at the bare minimum, usually (but not always) the non custodial parent sees the children at least every other week which makes 55% already too high.

Comment

almost all my friend's wives are sahm and all my family too - but i come from an ethnic background

Comment

SS is a scam, its privatizing welfare because the state couldn't afford the cost of feeding all these single mothers

Comment

Originally posted by Links17 View Post
            almost all my friend's wives are sahm and all my family too - but i come from an ethnic background
            Welcome to Canada.

Good thing your wife broke away from her subservient role. So you enjoyed many years of having a slave and now you are paying for your wife's independence?

Comment

SS is a scam, its privatizing welfare because the state couldn't afford the cost of feeding all these single mothers
              "the state" should not be paying for support when ex spouses can afford to pay.

I think the answer is to a) pay SAH spouse a basic salary with full benefits. That way they can pay into CPP and, b) purchase marriage/divorce insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
                Welcome to Canada.

Good thing your wife broke away from her subservient role. So you enjoyed many years of having a slave and now you are paying for your wife's independence?
                Hummmm.... I was a slave to her for the 15 years we've been together. I was doing all the housework ( cooking, groceries, laundry, dishes, shoveling, grass cutting, sewing, homework, etc....) while she was going out late with friends. I was even picking up the dogs poops outside the backyard (her dog)!

But now she wants to be "Super Mom" and wants to take over the job at 100% leaving the father behind as she thinks he's now useless. Super Mom can handle everything and can decide alone what is good for the children.

I don't think it's for the good of the children. It's really and only because it's for her own good... the full table CS in her pocket. One day, it will backfire and I know. Super Mom can do it now but after a while, after things had settled a bit, when the regular routine is going to kick in, the reality will show up and Super Mom will be exhausted and tired.

Thank god her request for SS was dismissed at the last hearing.

Today, I look at it and say that I was a slave to "my kids". It's easier to accept the hell I went through when I know it was for the sake of my children.

Comment

Mafia007 - my comments "welcome to Canada..." were directed at Links not at you.

Comment

I know Arabian. Just wanted to point out that in today's world, the males are doing a lot for their partner at home. Slavery can affect either side. Not a chance we would get compensate the same way.

Comment

Welcome to Canada.

Haha.... yeah, right - a useless facebook posting slave with the IQ of a toe.

It's my freedom I am paying for, not hers. Let's not get confused here, the master doesn't need the slave.

Comment

Originally posted by Desperate_Dad View Post
                        So are you saying your ex doesn't take the children at all? No every other week? nothing? The reality is that at the bare minimum, usually (but not always) the non custodial parent sees the children at least every other week which makes 55% already too high.
                        My ex doesn't take her at all. Ever. Not since he was successful in achieving 50/50 custody and reduced child support (2012). Two weeks later, he dropped her off and hasn't seen her since. Since then I've received sole custody (he's left the country) and a change in child support. I've even offered the ex a free vacay to see his daughter. But, since I won't pay for his wife, it's a no go.

Comment

Your circle of people, and therefore, your circle of experience is that women stay at home and live off the man. That isn't the experience of every Canadian woman - in fact, I'd estimate that it's a very small percentage of Canadian women these days.

You live in a biased culture, are friends with biased people and low and behold, you have bias. You can't see outside of your own experience to see that it isn't everyone's experience.

I honestly don't know any married women who doesn't work. None. I don't know any single moms who don't work. I don't know any divorced moms who don't work. I don't know any women at all who don't have jobs - except my mom and she's retired from her 40++ year career.

I do know a few married or divorced men who don't work though.

I'm a manager in Construction - small workforce of electricians and millwrights. Of the men that are divorced in this group - every single one of them is in a shared custody situation. Even with the crazy-ass hours of construction - they have their kids 50/50.

I don't see how someone can marry someone without a job and no career prospects, male or female.

Comment

"the state" should not be paying for support when ex spouses can afford to pay.

I think the answer is to a) pay SAH spouse a basic salary with full benefits. That way they can pay into CPP and, b) purchase marriage/divorce insurance.
                            Neither the "state" NOR the ex should be paying for support when people are perfectly capable of working.

Comment

Haha.... yeah, right - a useless facebook posting slave with the IQ of a toe.

It's my freedom I am paying for, not hers. Let's not get confused here, the master doesn't need the slave.
                              I'm really not understanding how you married a stay at home mom and expected her to come out a self-sufficient person after divorce?

You bought a house next to the tracks and you bitch and complain and blame everyone for the noise the train makes.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X