Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Parenting coordinators - any positive experiences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parenting coordinators - any positive experiences?

I was wondering if anyone out there had a positive experience with having hired a parenting coordinator.

In my case my ex has denied me court-ordered parenting time, so I picked my lawyer's brain for solutions. He advised that my changes of a contempt finding are low but I might want to try hiring a parenting coordinator.

What for? In my case all I need is a means of enforcing the existing order, which is clear but doesn't stipulate any penalties for denied parenting time.

I am totally not sold on a parenting coordinator, but for curiosity's sake, I'd like to put the question out there. Has anyone (esp. a man) found a parenting coordinator to be useful?

where are you located if I can ask?

Comment

Originally posted by paco View Post
      where are you located if I can ask?
      BC

"The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters." --< fuck you, idiot who programmed this restriction

Comment

My ex would probably say his experience is/was positive...we started out last December with me saying he would NEVER get midweek overnights. And now? He’s getting midweek overnights. Not for a while, but he’s getting them. The whole process we’ve mapped out sets up for shared custody if he doesn’t fuck up. I don’t love it. But I don’t hate it either.

From my end, our PC calls my ex on his shit and especially the lying and his aggression and anger. If he fucks up in the future- and we end up back in court, her notes will be gold for me. That’s something to note- even if you sign something that says the sessions are closed and you won’t subpoena their notes...either party still can as they’re your health records.

Comment

It will just delay things and serve as a way for her to fish excuses from you to use against you. Don't waste your time with her non sense. It's simply a contempt and enforcement of a court order at this point. There's nothing to coordinate or negotiate. Except for maybe a full custody change over.

There's no gauraantee that parenting coordination is any more effective than a good letter from your lawyer threatening criminal contempt proceeding and police enforce clause in the agreement. She could come to coordinate and chat and still disagree, wasting your time, money, all while alienating your child from you.

I do have a dispute resolution mechanism in my agreement to use parenting coordination, but a big but in the agreement that we will go to court if no agreement reached within 2 weeks or if the matter considered urgent. In this case, I would consider the matter urgent and get a motion set immediately. Don't let her play games and deny your access and alienate your kids- and be sure to demand makeup parenting time.

When this happened to me a couple years back, while I was litigating for 50.50.
          I said to ex I will pickup child at agreed upon time, if she's not available I will start picking up child from school. Nasty email back from ex which I used in exhibit B. Had my lawyer follow up with a letter threatening criminal contempt, and proceeded with urgent motion the following week. Judge got her to agree on consent to reinstate my access, but then ex quickly said I should have less time because I don't feed the child. Judge took her agreement to reinstate my access anyway and even expanded my access as a form of punishment to my ex (lawyer and I tried very hard to not laugh and hold it for when we walk out of the court), which taught my ex a real nice lesson and helped my case, big time.

In my experience, Courts don't play nice when the mother of your child withholds your child. Social workers can have a tendency to side with the mother.

Time for you to hire a real lawyer.

Have your pickups and drop offs take place at school - that way you never have to see her ugly face again and she can never deny you access and the school will call cops if she tries to take child during your days.
          Last edited by tunnelight; 08-19-2019, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Realy nice touched down tunnelight!

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Comment

In iona's case, I'm speculating that her consent, not the parenting coordinator, was key to father getting overnights.

In my case the amount of parenting time withheld was small (< 24 hours). It doesn't bother me as much as the ex would like. Rather than spend quality time with my kids that evening, I wound up scrolling through a bunch of online dating profiles on POF. See 3rd row, 2nd from the left here for a summary of what that was like.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolGuy41 View Post
                In iona's case, I'm speculating that her consent, not the parenting coordinator, was key to father getting overnights.
                I knew he was going to get overnights- but the PC helped me see that it's not when I feel comfortable with it- it's when it's a good time for D3 - providing that safety was no longer a concern. She explained everything in terms of D3's development.

For example, when it comes time for her to start public school. I wanted D3 to get dropped off from her weekend with her dad to my home to get ready for the week. But the PC explained to me that- actually- transitions from home --> school are generally easier on kids, than home --> home. We'll see.

OP- how old are your kids?

Comment

Originally posted by iona6656 View Post
                  I knew he was going to get overnights- but the PC helped me see that it's not when I feel comfortable with it- it's when it's a good time for D3 - providing that safety was no longer a concern. She explained everything in terms of D3's development.
                  So like I said, your consent was key to the settlement.

But the PC explained to me that- actually- transitions from home --> school are generally easier on kids, than home --> home.
                  That is a no-brainer. I think it might have been discussed on these forums.

OP- how old are your kids?
                  5 and 10.

Comment

In my case the amount of parenting time withheld was small (< 24 hours). I
                    I thought you were being fully denied. Choose a time and demand it as make up time.If she hasn't given you makeup time after say 6 months pick a day and say you're keeping the child for makeup time and will return on Y date- once the child is in your position. She'll go fucking bananas.

Actually, make her start sharing the drives while you're at it. Child will be available for your pickup at my house at these times.
                    Last edited by tunnelight; 08-24-2019, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tunnelight View Post
                      ... once the child is in your position. She'll go fucking bananas.
                      There is no need for that; she is already "bananas".

Actually, make her start sharing the drives while you're at it. Child will be available for your pickup at my house at these times.
                      The court order determines who delivers the children to whom. If it didn't, it would be ambiguous and unenforceable by means of a contempt motion.

Comment

I'm not sure what it is you are trying to do or get accomplished here then.

It's good that you want to be mature and take high road though I'll give you that! I don't tend to play nice when my parenting times get screwed around with and for good reason! Ex doesn't screw around anymore... She knows I don't just lay there and allow her to walk all over me. The cause and effect experience has been well embrained in her thought process for her to make better choices in the future.

If she tries to find you in contempt for not "delivering" the child then you fire back and find her in contempt for withholding access.
                        Last edited by tunnelight; 08-24-2019, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tunnelight View Post
                          I'm not sure what it is you are trying to do or get accomplished here then.
                          2 objectives:

1) Putting out a call to people to explain to me what the point of a parenting coordinator is. I liken it to a while ago when the US gov't put out a call for clinical evidence of the benefits of flossing. No evidence was found in favor of flossing or PC's. I'll keep flossing though because floss is $3/pack whereas PC's are like $300/hr and the floss does have some iffy evidence behind it.

2) Thinking about this PT denial so that more serious future PT denials can be prevented or dealt with. Since the courts have worked for me so far, I don't think a tug-of-war with the kids is the right way to go.

I don't tend to play nice when my parenting times get screwed around with and for good reason! Ex doesn't screw around anymore... She knows I don't just lay there and allow her to walk all over me.
                          Standing up for yourself is fundamentally the right thing to do and the right example to demonstrate for your child (girl or boy). A huge chunk of issues faced by separating fathers are caused by either failing to stand up for themselves, or the highly related problem of entering bad agreements.

Comment

2 objectives:

1) Putting out a call to people to explain to me what the point of a parenting coordinator is. I liken it to a while ago when the US gov't put out a call for clinical evidence of the benefits of flossing. No evidence was found in favor of flossing or PC's. I'll keep flossing though because floss is $3/pack whereas PC's are like $300/hr and the floss does have some iffy evidence behind it.

2) Thinking about this PT denial so that more serious future PT denials can be prevented or dealt with. Since the courts have worked for me so far, I don't think a tug-of-war with the kids is the right way to go.

It really depends on your ex, whether it will be effective. Is she the type that will listen to an outside party? Also- part of the whole PC thing is about being strategic. It makes you look reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by iona6656 View Post
                              Also- part of the whole PC thing is about being strategic. It makes you look reasonable.
                              ...assuming you are actually reasonable

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X