Travel/Passport for Infant to and from US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel/Passport for Infant to and from US

Hey I have a question for those of you with experience or an idea about this. I don't have all the details but this is basically how it goes:

Friend's daughter had a child in the US last summer. Father of child is from PQ mother originates from Alberta. Father is on a world-wide "travelling show" so the young mom opted to live with her parents for a while. Father is not on child's birth certificate. Child has a hyphenated last name. Child has an American birth certificate. Parents are Canadian.

Mom took child to the US to visit father. Now mom finds herself in the US and Customs will not let her return with the child. She likely assumed that having a return plane ticket for her and child would ensure she could cross the border with no problems. I doubt she even anticipated a problem. Family seems to think that merely because father's name isn't on birth certificate that she should be able to travel freely.

Of course family is upset because Christmas plans are centred around baby's first Christmas etc.

What would be the the options? I kind of doubt anything can be done within the next few days so that mom and baby can come back to grandparents for Christmas.

Any input?
Our Divorce Forums
Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
Working...
X