ex refuses to prove my daughter is still in university still paying support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ex refuses to prove my daughter is still in university still paying support

My adopted daughter is 21 years old lives in another city , and might be going to university for the her 3 rd year, we don't have a relationship at all and the mother refuses to tell me how she is doing in school or provide me with information about how she is doing or if she is in school at all , so what now ???? yes i am looking to see if i am still on the hook for support for her , it is paid to the mother thru FRO .

You should call FRO and speak to the person assigned to your file. Explain that you haven't received proof of attendance at school. Ask FRO what next steps would be.

Comment

Originally posted by Straittohell View Post
      You should call FRO and speak to the person assigned to your file. Explain that you haven't received proof of attendance at school. Ask FRO what next steps would be.
      Agreed.......

Comment

omg, duh why didn't i think of that , thanks ,
        I thought i was going to have to go back to court .

Comment

No problem.

You might have to, it all depends on what FRO says. They might very well look at her age, the lack of documentation, and agree that that she is no longer a child of the marriage by legal definition, and decline to collect payment from you.

They might request that you fill in some forms.

They might tell you that you need to go to court to get a change.

There have been a couple of threads on this, and folks have had mixed results in dealing with this.

Comment

I believe the Order would have to spell out specifically that the adult child is to provide educational transcripts etc. But even then I am not sure that a maintenance enforcement agency would enforce this. Does anyone know if they enforce this sort of thing?

Often judges order that CS be paid after adult children and parents provide full financial disclosure. Adult children often have to provide proof that they have exhausted all financial avenues available to them (bursaries, scholarships), along with grade transcripts on an annual basis. There is plenty of case law readily available on CanLii about this.

You may be looking at going back to court to get the particulars of your agreement modified.

I believe it is commonly felt that children have an obligation to keep the paying parent informed as to his/her academic success. Often if adult child refuses contact with paying parent, the judge stops the gravy train.

Comment

Choo choo!

Comment

thank you for the advise i will be calling FRO in the morning , it maybe cold but she has no interest in being in my life or vise versa so if she isn't going to school and is working , then i feel that's it everyone can move forward with their lives .

Comment

It's not cold at all. If she isn't going to school and is cynically letting mom use you as a piggy bank, then they are the ones that are being cold.

Comment

Here's a link to the form you need. You send it to FRO. They send a copy to Mom. Mom has 30 days to reply and show that your daughter is still in school. In our case Mom did not reply at all. After 30 days the file was closed and my husband received a cheque for an amount he had overpaid.

Ontario Central Forms Repository - Form Identification

Comment

Curious OP
                      Are you not paying for a portion of the University tuition? If so; does the FRO not provide you a copy of the receipt that was submitted by mom for the money to be reimbursed from you via FRO?
                      The tuition fees paid and a copy of the receipt is proof of a full course load in my opinion. If there is a full course load tuition payment the child must be in good standing.

Comment

FRO doesnt enforce s7 unless the dollar amount is listed in a court order. The ex would have to get a court order with receipts to have them enforce. Sounds like in this case ex has provided receipts before but hasnt done so lately.

Comment

rockscan I beg to differ with you. That statement is very definitive:

"FRO doesnt enforce s7 unless the dollar amount is listed in a court order"

FRO does enforce s7 without the dollar amount. It depends on your order.
                          For example each parent will pay 50% of the following:
                          1)Hockey registration
                          2)Soccer registration
                          Parent 1 pays entire cost, submits receipt to FRO, FRO send to parent 2, parent 2 remits 50% to FRO, FRO send 50% to parent 1. It becomes an arrear until payment received which they will take enforcement action on in my experience.

Post Secondary is not always written in an order as S7. It could be an entirely different clause. If written well enough FRO will also enforce and no dollar amounts needed in order only percentage each parent is to pay

I haven't read the order in question and maybe it is posted somewhere. I read the OP was only looking to stop CS and asked the question if he/she was paying a portion of post-secondary. If he/she was then they would have some confirmation of attendance from tuition receipts.

If OP is not paying any of the post-secondary and has no confirmation I agree fill out the form to terminate support. If will force the other party to either provide the information or agree to terminate.

Only my opinions.

Comment

Im going on what we were told. Unless they have a dollar amount they cant enforce it. In our case, getting receipts is a nightmare so he looked at having it done through FRO. Caseworker told us unless theres a court order with an amount, they cant help. A friend of mine has her s7 enforced through FRO and she says she has to an affidavit and have it filed with the court for enforcement.

From the original post, its just cs. So perhaps doesnt pay expenses.

Comment

No the mother and I do not pay for university . I am the adoptive
                              Father and the biological father has decided to show up and has looked after paying some of the school expenses

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X