Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting over, my brain (heart?) is a mess...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting over, my brain (heart?) is a mess...

I guess I should be feeling grateful, I have no kids and my break has been relatively clean (even though it's been a 10 year back-and-forth process over a 15 year marriage!). I don't think I'll ever know for sure if divorce was the 'right' thing to do, but in the end it seemed to be the only thing left to do. It still doesn't feel right but my husband and I just couldn't seem to get it together. We tried different sorts of counselling, we tried church, we tried books... Now that we've separated and gone forward with getting divorced, it's definitely over - some cold and nasty words have been exchanged via lawyers and there's just too much hurt now. It really feels bad now, really really bad... I'm sad and hurt and confused and sad and even more sad. I feel guilty and I feel angry and I feel indignant. I feel sorry for my husband and I hate him and I feel sorry for me and I hate me. I've had moments in even the past month where I thought I wanted to be back with him, even though we've been separated for almost two years. I feel like a huge failure, even though I actually tried for years when I know that most people would have divorced years ago. Now I feel quite numb and dead, I feel like I just want to be alone for the rest of my life (i'm "only" 40).

It was my move to get the divorce. I feel very guilty about that. My husband would have just let us go on suffering. I couldn't take it any more. I feel so, so badly about all of it. I don't think there is too much that could have been done differently in my marriage, even in retrospect. I think we did the best we could at the time. We both made some poor decisions at times. I don't think we could have done any better though. Now, I wish I had spoken up more, spoke my mind more. I went along with too much, did things his way too much, gave up too much of me. That didn't help. But anyway..

I expect I will feel hurt by this for quite a while. I'm prepared for the healing to be a process. I try to remind myself of how painful it was to be in the marriage, and then the bad moments don't seem as bad. But... there are still some bad moments. It's been very humbling in the sense that my lifestyle has plummeted to barely scraping by in a dingy rental space, but at least I am looking after myself. The worst was the mental toll that the marriage took on me, i think it will take a long time to gain my sense of self back.

I guess I just needed a place to say this. My therapist kind of laughs when I say these things - I think his idea is that if he makes light of it all, it will help me to not take life too seriously, which i guess is a notion which has it's place. My mom and dad are very loving but they have their own ideas of how i "should" be feeling, and it's not based in reality! So, thanks for letting me vent here!

cheers from Lydster

vent away..

Hello,
    This is a great place, evryone here has been very helpful to one another. we are all going throuh trials, and I feel for your heartache.... you seem to be very compassionate- seeing both sides- all sides of your sitaution actually... that is very compassionate.
    Good luck to you....you seem to be on your way alreayd, i am trying to still find my way alone....
    Aden..

Comment

Loose; but never loose the lesson!

Lydster,

Thanks for your feedback! I am also sorry 2 hear about what u had 2 go through in your marriage and that also 15 yr of it as u say..wow! How did u ever survive that long? It takes a lot 2 be able 2 stick it out in the face of ongoing adversity coming from the spouse! But, i am glad 2 hear that u were finally able 2 come 2 a positive decision 2 get yourself out of the unhealthy relationship! No one deserves 2 live a life in silent misery!

I guess the learning lesson from our situation is 2 look closely from the start at the person u r getting involved with and what kind of relationship they share with their close counterparts in the form of family and friends..such as their parents and how much of a influence do they have on the individual and how much is he willing 2 give into that!? And lookout for signals that point out towards that indication before u end up getting 2 close 2 the person, thus making it hard 2 walk away at that point!

As far as my marriage is concerned i do not think there is any room left 2 further pursue any reconciliation at this point in time. I wish the case was different, but as much as i wish that were true..it doesn't change the facts! And i guess it is time that i need 2 accept that i cannot change matters and recognize that my marriage is beyond repair and decide 2 move forward with the divorce!

My best wishes 2 u in your healing process! Be strong, hang in there and everything will be fine in time, eventually u will find your life back..i know i am trying 2 do the same!! Take care..talk 2 u later.

In-Law Trouble

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X