Visitation frustration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visitation frustration

This is a bit of a vent hence the posting in the support forum. We've tried everything we can think of. Working together, giving lead time, letting kids choose, trading off special holidays for added days later etc.

Once again the visitation interference battle reared its ugly head. Partner has been fighting for two years to have access to his kids and his ex causes a problem, denies access, or interferes every time. We've actually clocked it. If there isnt a fight right before the visit, theres a fight during. Then theres constant calls to the cell phones or the house.

At the beginning of the year, after three months of difficulty scheduling and a missed seat sale (causing a bitchfest about how horrible it is to take the bus), my partner asked his ex if they could work together to set up some sort of a schedule so that everyone knew what weekends were when and where and tickets could be booked, kids' work schedules could be sorted out etc. No dice. Then he tried during the last two weeks of each month asking mom and kids to decide what weekend the next month would work. No dice again. Then it was he has to involve the kids in the decision and when he does its you have to only talk to ex about it because kids arent telling her hes coming. Even when hes driving the five hours to them it was a fight. His oldest has a job and ex refuses to allow the 14 yo to travel alone (even when he meets the conditions set out by via rail). Back in the spring work time didnt get booked properly so he was out two non refundable tickets. Then a five day visit was scheduled a few weeks ago and cancelled when ex got the oldest all fired up about the unequal percentages for university.

This weekend we had planned to go away to visit friends. We were staying about an hour from his kids but he knew if he tried to get time it wouldnt happen. Then he gets a request for money for school supplies from the 14yo. He calls to find out whats happened with the child support and it was discovered its being used for tuition. He offered to take kid shopping but got "we're busy". He finally had it and said he hadnt seen them and was upset. It was agreed with mom (he could hear kid talking to her) that they would have dinner sunday night after dropping 19 yo off at uni. Then kid called back and offered sat morning too. He agreed and picked both of them up. Ex saw him when she got the kids home from errands and she knew they were with their dad. The calls started about 30 mins after they left. He asked them to turn off their phones so he could have an uninterrupted visit. That lasted about an hour. He was told they were leaving for drop off at 7 am the next day and he could pick kid up at five. Next day he gets a call at 11. They havent left and wont be back until 6:30. When he asked to speak to mom he finds out she wasnt ready to leave, wanted to visit friends and didnt even know he was in town. All excuses and lies. No visit.

He was so upset last night and wanted to send a nasty email. He understood it was a bad idea and wouldnt make a difference so he didnt. He also realizes this is a game she plays because she knows it upsets him and its all she can do. Still doesnt make him feel better. As he said last night he doesnt know if he was being played by all three or if his kids had no idea and didnt want to throw mom under the bus. He sees a therapist about it so he knows what to say and how to act to keep the lines of healthy communication open and he saw a lot of progress Saturday but then it just gets thrown out the window once they go back to mom. He said he felt like all they wanted was his money and thats why they were being nice to him. It really screws with him.

He realizes they're teenagers and they have lives etc. but then he gets the "you dont love us" or "you care more about your gf/friends than us" or "you moved on and forgot about us" meanwhile hes begging them to spend time with him or communicate. Its just so frustrating. He calls, texts, begs to skype, tries to set up visits...and its always an excuse--computer broken, no text plan, not home, off to see moms family so no free weekends. When does dad become a priority?

So he saw them Saturday morning? And then Sunday got messed up and he didn't see them? Did he give the kids money on Saturday?

Just curious.

Comment

He took them shopping. He was planning a little celebratory dinner with the younger one Sunday because all the attention had been on the older one going away. 14 yo starts high school and he was planning to have dinner and celebrate but it was all changed because of moms revised schedule and desire to visit with friends instead of sticking to a schedule she agreed to with the kid.

Comment

Is there a court order for access in place?
        If so, does it have a set schedule?

I'm sorry to hear that this is happening to him. It isn't right and even if the kids are teens, he is still their father and they still need to have a relationship together.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post

He realizes they're teenagers and they have lives etc. but then he gets the "you dont love us" or "you care more about your gf/friends than us" or "you moved on and forgot about us" meanwhile hes begging them to spend time with him or communicate. Its just so frustrating. He calls, texts, begs to skype, tries to set up visits...and its always an excuse--computer broken, no text plan, not home, off to see moms family so no free weekends. When does dad become a priority?
          Even kids from "normal" families will use the guilt thing to get what they want, be it material or emotional. They all try it - some more than others. When it's a divorce situation it gets even worse. Dad has to be mindful of this and set his limitations as kidlets will divide and conquer

I doubt that letting them decide is the way to go. He should stick to a firm schedule unless there's a VALID reason for doing otherwise.
          It's all about boundaries - rather than begging them to share some time with him, perhaps he should do the opposite - back off somewhat. They won't expect that, it just may make them think a little? Distance makes the heart grow fonder ....

Comment

Originally posted by Janibel View Post
            Even kids from "normal" families will use the guilt thing to get what they want, be it material or emotional. They all try it - some more than others. When it's a divorce situation it gets even worse. Dad has to be mindful of this and set his limitations as kidlets will divide and conquer

I doubt that letting them decide is the way to go. He should stick to a firm schedule unless there's a VALID reason for doing otherwise.
            This I agree with

rather than begging them to share some time with him, perhaps he should do the opposite - back off somewhat. They won't expect that, it just may make them think a little? Distance makes the heart grow fonder ....
            This is a very bad idea!
            Your partner would effectively be appropriating their behaviour by doing the same thing himself, and it teaches them nothing aside from affirming their accusation that "he has left" or worse yet, that he has "given up" on them.
            Please do not suggest this to him, or support his decision to do such a thing, if the though comes to him on his own.

Comment

this I agree with wholeheartedly!

He is a teenager, and like any teenager, he will need firm boundaries and guidance in order to navigate him through the next few years.

Look at it this way; if left to his own devices, would a 14 year old go to bed at 10pm or would he stay up until he got bored/burnt out enough to have to sleep? Would he do his homework without prompting or without having the expectation that homework be done having been instilled him, or would he just hang out with friends or play video games all night? Would he even get to school without the expectation and assistance of such?

Children need boundaries, expectations and guidance at this age. If your partner is having a hard time getting the child to spend time with him, try inspiring the child to want to spent time with dad by doing something completely focused on the child and/or something newly unique.

What are this kids passions?
              Who are his friends?
              What does he like to do both alone and with friends?
              Can you incorporate his passions and/or friends into some of the time that dad gets to spend with junior?

Remember that at 14 you're not only being challenged by the divorce, you are also fighting against the teen need (which is valid) to be social with others in his peer group and experience his passions and interests to the fullest! Use these things to cater the time with him to him.

It doesn't have to cost a lot of money, or any money all the time; but you do have to work with the child's personal needs and interests in order to encourage the desire to spend time with dad because believe me he wants to!!!

Comment

Stacy, think about it, I'm suggesting to Op to back off somewhat, not to cut the ties in any way shape or form. A parent must ALWAYS strive to keep the relationship as strong as possible. In this case Dad is feeling like an ATM machine. He has to ''beg'' for more time with his kids? This is not the way to go about it IMO. The teens are old enough to make some kind of effort in their dealings with Dad.
                Last edited by Janibel; 09-06-2014, 12:59 AM.

Comment

And another thing to consider in this: It's something that we all need to learn eventually - you have to put some kind of an effort into a relationship for it to work. If a person expects unconditional love - better buy a cat or a dog. Teens need to understand that parents have feelings too.

Dad has been bending over backwards to have some time with them - and what are the results? The kids and Ex are doing whatever they want ... I still say Dad should let the teens meet him halfway - by all means keep the lines of communication open, just don't be a doormat.

I'll step down from my soap-box now ....

Comment

Stacey, think about it, I'm suggesting to Op to back off somewhat, not to cut the ties in any way shape or form. A parent must ALWAYS strive to keep the relationship as strong as possible. In this case Dad is feeling like an ATM machine. He has to ''beg'' for more time with his kids? This is not the way to go about it IMO. The teens are old enough to make some kind of effort in their dealings with Dad.
                    I'm sorry I don't agree.
                    As someone with a bit of background in developmental psychology, I can tell you that what you're suggesting, even if it be on an interim basis, is not healthy to the child.

The boy is 14, and while I have no idea of his personal background and upbringing, at this stage in his life he is finalizing the psychological aspects of what he will ultimately be as a man.
                    What you need to realize is that the human brain does not stop developing at the age of 13, or even 18; the full maturity of male mind is not complete in biology and psychopathology until approximately 22- 24 years of age.

Right now, at 14, this boy will be learning the fundamentals of relationships, conflict resolution, many different aspects of basic and complex ethics and all while struggling within a world filled with the need to be accepted and appreciated by those who he both values and cares about.

This is why "peer pressure" becomes such a huge issues in the teenage years because kids struggle to gain acceptance; it is the unconditional love and acceptance of the family (whether single, split, married or blended) which gives the child the rooted stability they need to remember who they are, and what's expected/acceptable by the actions and values displayed by the parents.

Why do you think teenagers tend to be so difficult?
                    Because they are in a constant state of internal conflict between what they want vs. what the parents expect vs. what the peers find to be acceptable vs. what society will allow vs. what they admire in those they see as role models vs. this vs. that vs. the other...

Pulling away from him right now, or waiting for him to "put in the effort" sends the message that dad has given up, kid is not worth the aggravation, and so, so much more which could create all kinds of issues for this boy...

And another thing to consider in this: It's something that we all need to learn eventually - you have to put some kind of an effort into a relationship for it to work. If a person expects unconditional love - better buy a cat or a dog. Teens need to understand that parents have feelings too.

Dad has been bending over backwards to have some time with them - and what are the results? The kids and Ex are doing whatever they want ... I still say Dad should let the teens meet him halfway - by all means keep the lines of communication open, just don't be a doormat.

Yes, please do because you are giving advice which is not in the best interest of the child, and which could in fact cause damage to the child, which is not good advice for anyone reading your posts.

Children do NOT have to "put in effort" to meet any of our adult wants or needs. We do however have to put in the work, effort, suffering and sacrifice to meet all of their needs; most especially those they don't even realize they truly do need for their own wellbeing.

Comment

Originally posted by Stacy'sMom View Post
                      Children do NOT have to "put in effort" to meet any of our adult wants or needs. We do however have to put in the work, effort, suffering and sacrifice to meet all of their needs; most especially those they don't even realize they truly do need for their own wellbeing.
                      Is it truly in the best interests of a child (14?) to be uncaring and selfish? I'm sorry to disagree with you again Stacy (and I have no formal training in psychology). I'm of a generation that feels children should have respect for their parents and clearly this parent is deserving of that respect - that includes empathy.

You have your opinion, I have mine - the OP has asked for our suggestions. No need for us to claim we are experts in the matter as clearly, neither of us are.

Comment

Is it truly in the best interests of a child (14?) to be uncaring and selfish? I'm sorry to disagree with you again Stacy (and I have no formal training in psychology). I'm of a generation that feels children should have respect for their parents and clearly this parent is deserving of that respect - that includes empathy.

You have your opinion, I have mine - the OP has asked for our suggestions. No need for us to claim we are experts in the matter as clearly, neither of us are.
                        I did give my opinion.
                        I stated what I thought was in the best interest of the child.
                        I additionally expressed concerns which I had about something which I saw as having a potential damaging effect on the child the child if it where to be in fact acted on in this situation.

Yes, I am not an expert and my opinion was only given as a mother to a child who is of similar age to the child in question (my son will be 14 in January), and additionally based on the limited amount of knowledge I personally have which includes;
                        • 3 years of studies in the area of general psychology,
                        • 3 years of in depth studies in psychoanalytic theory,
                        • 3 years of research in to countless clinical studies related to developmental psychology,
                        • not yet a full year of advanced studies in criminal psychology and behaviour,
                        • 2 years additional studies in various areas of therapies related to the treatment of DSMV Axis (ii) Cluster C and other disorders of personality

I am NOT an expert, and through my statement which clearly said that I only have some background in the area of developmental psychology, I had never claimed to be one; but if credentials are what's needed in order to give merit to my previous assertions that "pulling away" from the child, or that requiring a child to "put in the effort" to have a relationship with either of their parents is not only inadvisable but also potentially damaging than I do hope that what I've given holds some weight because what you have suggested is absolutely NOT a good idea!

Comment

I really wish people would stop tooting their "my advice is the best" horn. There are many merits to what every poster has posted here - specifically because none of us know ALL the details to make any grounded and sound advice.

To Stacy's mom, you can agree to disagree all you want with whomever. Most respectfully, a formal education in this areas would also dictate that you cannot make an assessment with only partial facts and without having even met the person for formal assessments. This is why Janibel's posts do have merits - because the OP will craft together everyone's advice and hold it up to all the context that was not provided and see how it applies to her situation. The OP will do the same with your advice. My guess is that you each have wealth to assist her in overcoming her personal hurdles.

I can attest that when we are so oppositional that our ways are the right/only, we lose traction on being helpful, cooperative and caring.

Comment

Never at any time did I give an assessment on this child or on the family dynamics at play in this situation because you're absolutely right I have none of the history, I've met none of the family, along with several other factors which would make any kind of credible and accurate assessment over an online forum not only unethical but also virtually impossible.

Advice was given. Another bit of advise was advised against; followed with some comprehensible explanation as to why to avoid the mentioned practice at hand.

When the matter of "expertise" was raised, I had given my own history in areas of study which bare relevance to developmental psychology; specifically stating (twice) that I am by no means an expert.

No one has to agree with me.

I see many things posted here which I do not agree with, and I usually just pass it by, keeping my thoughts to myself; but if I do see someone publicly advising of something which could potentially cause harm to child, I will speak up and attempt to relate to people reading these forum posts why this is a bad idea so that they can make informed decisions on what they chose as their own course of action.

This:
                            Originally posted by janible
                            Originally posted by me
                            "Yes, please do...."
                            I should not have said and janible has my sincere, public apology for being so crass with her last night in that sentiment.

Originally posted by serene
                            I can attest that when we are so oppositional that our ways are the right/only, we lose traction on being helpful, cooperative and caring.
                            I agree with you completely, and there many methods which can be used in reaching the same end result.

The desired result in this situation is that the child want to spend time with the father, which he more then likely already does, but which at 14 years old, the child's other priorities in life or other issues of which we may be unaware, seem to keep impeding. In any case, the result can be reached through positive encouragement and reinforcement in a healthy way which would not have the potential to cause any emotional damage to the child, and that was my point.

My advise to get there was this:
                            Originally posted by me
                            Children need boundaries, expectations and guidance at this age. If your partner is having a hard time getting the child to spend time with him, try inspiring the child to want to spent time with dad by doing something completely focused on the child and/or something newly unique.

What are this kids passions?
                            Who are his friends?
                            What does he like to do both alone and with friends?
                            Can you incorporate his passions and/or friends into some of the time that dad gets to spend with junior?

Remember that at 14 you're not only being challenged by the divorce, you are also fighting against the teen need (which is valid) to be social with others in his peer group and experience his passions and interests to the fullest! Use these things to cater the time with him to him.

It doesn't have to cost a lot of money, or any money all the time; but you do have to work with the child's personal needs and interests in order to encourage the desire to spend time with dad because believe me he wants to!!!
                            but there many other ways to get here which do not include a parent withdrawing from a child, or placing onus of father/son relationship in the child's hands by waiting until he "put in the effort" both of which have the propensity to cause negative affect upon the child, and which may in turn not have the desired effect which is sought here by the father; but I digress.

Why don't we get off the matter of discrepancy, and back to the topic at hand by discussing additional ways to help this father/son relationship as it seems to be in distress at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Stacy'sMom View Post

This:

I should not have said and janible has my sincere, public apology for being so crass with her last night in that sentiment.

No need to apologize as no offense was taken

Why don't we get off the matter of discrepancy, and back to the topic at hand by discussing additional ways to help this father/son relationship as it seems to be in distress at the moment.
                              Now there's something that we can agree on. The OP is clearly upset over this situation. I have raised a son (now 25) and there were times in his teens when I had to scratch my head and ask myself what planet he came from? I understand how sensitive/insecure they can be at that stage of life. Divorce just compounds the problems.

Perhaps the Dad in this case could write a heartfelt letter to his kid/kids explaining how he feels - no guilt or pressure, just expressing how he would love to spend more time enjoying juniors' company.

Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X