Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law > Common Law Issues

Common Law Issues The law regarding common law relationships is different than in cases of divorce. Discuss the issues that affect unmarried couples here.

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 01:46 PM

rustedinnocence is on a distinguished road
Default CPP credits & common law possessions

in a common law relationship breakdown, does each party keep their own CPP Credits or can the other person be entitled to some of them? I guess I am wondering if it is the same as if you were legally married.
and...
in a common law relationship, if the other person takes something that was bought jointly, is it worth fighting to get back (e.g. a $1000.00 flat screen tv)....
....i also wonder how it would be dealt with if they did take it .... should i just request higher dollar amount from house proceeds to make up for it... or does the matrimonial home have nothing to do with division of assets?
(I am looking down road of course....right now i'm stuck in limbo land of owning the same house and his moving back into it while I am still there -- very tiresome and stress injected situation)
Old 10-19-2010, 07:07 PM

standing on the sidelines is on a distinguished road

best to pick your battles. The 1000 flat screen may be worth that when you bought it but it does depreciate big time. Think garage sale prices.

Is the house in both your names?
Old 10-20-2010, 09:55 AM

rustedinnocence is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply...
Yes, house is in both names.
.....so I'm kind of getting the impression that if he takes whatever he wants out of the house when I am not around,,, then 'good luck to me' in trying to get it back...unless I am willing to pay more in lawyer costs than the stuff is worth.
Awe diddly... it hurts my head to try and think like his irrational mind does.... I wish i could inject a conscience into him...it would make dealing with him so much easier if he had any sense at all of right and wrong and the smallest smidgen of guilt to go along with it…. Oye -stress
Old 10-20-2010, 05:11 PM

standing on the sidelines is on a distinguished road

yep basically you are right. What I would do if there is anything you want then remove it from the house and take it somewhere for safekeeping. If he fights you for it then you can hit him with everything that he took and your rights to half the value of things bought together. I know it sucks.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:08 PM

Max22258 is on a distinguished road

My ex empty the whole house and there is nothing i can do, other then have the judge tell her twice to return the item no police or court want to enforce these decisions by the judges. It is sad to say but even if I have receipt after receipt for all the thing I got and was rightfully mine I cannot get nothing back.
Closed Thread