This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• respondent's lawyer fighting to not have me represent myself

Has anyone ever come across a case where the other sides lawyer is stating that you cannot represent yourself and she will fight for me to have to retain counsel for trial?

No....I have never heard this. In my opinion, the decision to retain a lawyer or not to retain a lawyer is your choice!

Comment

Possibly if they can show that there has been significant time wasted because you did not have counsel e.g. failures to follow proper procedures, ignorance of basic family law rules, or inability to conduct yourself properly in court. But if you have shown yourself to be reasonable competent in self-representing so far, I don't think they have anything to complain about. You are not legally required to have a lawyer. Has the judge expressed any negative response to you being self-represented so far?

If there have been problems, then you do run the risk of having to pay some of your ex's legal fees, due to your choice to self-represent.
      Last edited by dinkyface; 03-28-2011, 05:49 PM.

Comment

I have counsel with whom i am severing today as the numbers are in. His lawyer is pissed that I have reported her to Newfoundland Law Association. Last week she was going on to my lawyer that she would behave as ususal even though i was not represented. Now she doesnt want to go up against me!

Comment

He doesnt want to face you in court.
          the judge will be inclined to protect your interests.
          you have a more more intimate knowledge of the issues and problems.
          If you are able to be organized, calm, and rational - you will present an immense challange for him/her.
          If you think yu can pull it off, stick to your guns and move forward in a professional manner and kick his ass.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X