Dates are set....thru a zoom meeting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dates are set....thru a zoom meeting

May 14th ...pre trial for disclosure...partners lawyer says he is unsure why they need this, as all the paperwork is complete..

House and equalization and support are the issues.

My partner has made the offer according to divorce mate for payments...her lawyer is trying to say he should sign the house over to her, and not pay support...even the judge says with his retirement in 4 years he would be foolish to agree to this.

so pretrial May 14th...trial dates set for FIVE days...starting July 12th...no one understands the 5 days...IN PERSON!

Everyone thinks, including her friends and family that her lawyer is just giving her false hope.

The only other question I have, are people allowed to attend these trials, or is it just the lawyers and people involved?

Just hoping they can settle prior to this, but its looking unlikely

If you are asking if you can attend the answer is yes you could but his ex could ask that you be removed from the courtroom. There is no point for you to be in the courtroom. You could simply wait outside for moral support. Otherwise your presence could create additional animosity.

If they don’t use the time then the trial is cut short and if the judge he has had is right and your partner wins, he has more basis for demanding costs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
      If you are asking if you can attend the answer is yes you could but his ex could ask that you be removed from the courtroom. There is no point for you to be in the courtroom. You could simply wait outside for moral support. Otherwise your presence could create additional animosity.

If they don�t use the time then the trial is cut short and if the judge he has had is right and your partner wins, he has more basis for demanding costs.

Costs...we wonder if her lawyer is going to try and get costs..hence why they are taking forever to get started..from what I have read..costs are normally not awarded....and I agree...don't really want to be in the actual court room...

Comment

You may not be allowed to attend as there is a limit to 10 people at a time which includes the judge, lawyers, both parties and court reporter ( that’s already 6 people). Then add witnesses or security and you are quickly at 10. Costs ARE usually awarded at trial to the winning party. Trial is exactly the time when costs are most likely to be awarded. That is why you should have made a reasonable offer to settle that remains active right up to 5 minutes before trial starts.

Comment

Originally posted by canthisberight View Post
          Costs...we wonder if her lawyer is going to try and get costs..hence why they are taking forever to get started..from what I have read..costs are normally not awarded....and I agree...don't really want to be in the actual court room...

If she loses then her lawyer has an uphill battle to get costs. They are awarded in cases where one party has been unreasonable and if she has been as unreasonable as you say, it could happen.

Comment

I dont really understand how this part works..they have sent ridiculous offers...she is suing him...but I tjought this was to settle their assets. I am very confused

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X