• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pension splitting

Hi new here and wanted to know if some one could answer a question for me
    ok so the ex and i split two years ago
    I got a good job in 2006 with a pension from omers
    she wants her half
    does she only get her half of the 4 years i had it in the marriage and does she get only what i put in or does she get what the employer put in as well .
    I ask now cause it cost 600 to have the pension fund do it and I was left with nothing so I want to fight that she got everything else so she can leave my pension alone.
    any thoughts.
    thanks

Originally posted by nomad View Post
    Hi new here and wanted to know if some one could answer a question for me
    ok so the ex and i split two years ago
    I got a good job in 2006 with a pension from omers
    she wants her half
    does she only get her half of the 4 years i had it in the marriage and does she get only what i put in or does she get what the employer put in as well .

She gets 1/2 of the total value accumulated during the time you were married (including your employer's contribution).

This amount would be discounted for both you and she (by an actuary by, the estimated tax rate that you both would pay) and then be included in the NFP

I ask now cause it cost 600 to have the pension fund do it and I was left with nothing so I want to fight that she got everything else so she can leave my pension alone.
    any thoughts.

If the $600 charge wipes out the pension, offer her $200 and be done with it.

thanks
    Don't stress over this.

FN
    Last edited by FreeNow; 01-15-2013, 08:36 PM.

Comment

See this forum thread and follow the link that explains pensions.

http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/f...luation-13942/

The family law value for pensions in Ontario apply the marriage date, seperation date using total contributions and then using a set formula.

Best of luck.

Comment

Depending on the value of the pension, an actuarial valuation may be appropriate. That is the most accurate number you are likely to find.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X