Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Old 03-27-2019, 10:10 AM

cashcow4ex is on a distinguished road

Hey Janus,

I have all the medical documents from my 5 day stay at the Heart Institute when I went in after my heart attack 6 months ago.

My options aren't as simply as you are making them out to be. If I reduce my work hours to a normal work day (8 hours) the consequences to that is a diminished salary as a great portion of my compensation is commission based. Currently I am putting in approx 15 hours per day which on average has been providing me with about $140,000 a year. Of which $85,000 is in commission. If I were to reduce my hours to an 8 hour day, I could expect a year end compensation in the area of about $75,000 to $90,000 as I would need to re-distribute some accounts to other sales people. Knowing my ex, she will say I am purposefully lowering my salary in an effort to reduce child support.

My other option is to try and switch careers however as stated before, I have been with this company since I was 18. I really dont have any other work experience nor is there any real competition to transfer too. So if I switch careers, it would be foolish to think I am going to make anywhere near the salary I am making now.

My health is starting to dictate what pace I can keep up and its not the 15 hour days I am currently maintaining.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:46 AM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

But if you are in sales it may help you in other roles. There are plenty of jobs that require someone with good people skills and other types of abilities. You could also consider going into the insurance or realty field with a sales background and do the work right now to get your license.

I also think the advice about speaking to a career counselor or even a headhunter may be a good plan too. You donít necessarily have to look for a job that pays you the same salary but you could get some info on what other career options you have. Donít sell your experience short. Ive known plenty of people who have a degree but dont work in the field of study. Or people who went for one year of college and make thousands doing something else. Sometimes roles base themselves on a set of skills rather than a degree. The job description may say a degree is required to help weed out the unqualified.
Old 03-28-2019, 01:03 AM

Janus will become famous soon enoughJanus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashcow4ex View Post
I have all the medical documents from my 5 day stay at the Heart Institute when I went in after my heart attack 6 months ago.
Did you get the heart attack from your job, the stress of your divorce, or from eating too much cholesterol and smoking too many cigarettes?

Your evidence is that you got a heart attack. Do you have evidence that your job caused the heart attack?
Old 03-28-2019, 08:18 AM

There is no evidence that clearly states my job caused the heart attack. Unfortunately heart attacks causes aren't always clear.
I can tell you that there wasn't any heart defects found and I am a reasonably healthy person. Could I lose 20 pounds...sure but that in itself doesn't cause a mid 40's person to have a heart attack.

With that said, working 15 hour days on a minimum average of 6 days a week isn't conducive for a healthy and long life...nor can I possible hope to continue at this pace for about the next 8 years (until child support ends).
So a lifestyle change must happen.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockscan View Post
But if you are in sales it may help you in other roles. There are plenty of jobs that require someone with good people skills and other types of abilities. You could also consider going into the insurance or realty field with a sales background and do the work right now to get your license.

I also think the advice about speaking to a career counselor or even a headhunter may be a good plan too. You donít necessarily have to look for a job that pays you the same salary but you could get some info on what other career options you have. Donít sell your experience short. Ive known plenty of people who have a degree but dont work in the field of study. Or people who went for one year of college and make thousands doing something else. Sometimes roles base themselves on a set of skills rather than a degree. The job description may say a degree is required to help weed out the unqualified.

Thank you Rockscan, and you do make a very good point. My sales experience is transferable to other jobs. I just wish my field I am in wasn't so narrow of a specialty LOL
Old 03-28-2019, 10:18 AM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

My brother works in sales and Ive learned it takes a specific type of personality to do that work. I canít sell anything. He is amazing at it.

I think you are overthinking it really. Can you take a few days vacation and look at a few job boards? Also visit a career counselor? Speak with a headhunter? Plenty of people who have been in the market for a number of years (including straight out of school) are terrified to go out and try something new. Having responsibilities makes it that much more terrifying. In the end you may find it wasnít that scary and perhaps you were being undersold (sorry for the pun) in your field. If you are needing to hustle that much for half your income then perhaps it is time to consider something different with a bit more of a work life balance.

The job market is changing. Businesses are finding that many people are not as skilled with their fancy degrees as those who have been in the real world for longer. There are also a lot of people retiring leaving a glut in experienced candidates. Thats why I recommend a head hunter. They get paid by a company to find you a job. If you have the skill and experience you say you do, they will make a good commission off of you.

Free to look in to with a possible high reward in the end. What do you have to lose? Just some time and energy!
Old 03-29-2019, 09:36 PM

Kkc is on a distinguished road

For once I agree with Janus

I was recently in similar situation. Without going into details, I was looking at finding a replacement to run my practice or continue and burn out then totally crash and burn.

I found a solution that involved altering my schedule and practice flow so I could slow way down to a safe level without really affecting my income. I do have the medical note to back this up. I'm lucky to be able control thing this way, I really am.
It sucks for my patients but I do not have a choice for the time being.

If you have a cardiac condition the stress will kill you or u'll get takutsubo cardiomyopathy and then you cannot work.

I'd suggest slowly scaling back..if there are things you can remove (for me it was walk in clinics) do it. Find your comfort level and enjoy your kid living with you. Your ex should know about your medical history and your job and reasonably cannot expect a person to safely go at that rate.

All the best
Old 04-05-2019, 10:46 AM

Janus will become famous soon enoughJanus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkc View Post
For once I agree with Janus

Psshhh, everyone should agree with Janus.