This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving between quebec and ontario while in a relationship

I moved to ottawa from vancouver to live with my boyfriend, who took a job here who is also from vancouver..

Neither of us knew anyone here, nor had family. We ended up living in a tiny bubble for 4 years. just the two of us. I learned to cook to save us money, and stopped talking to my friends in Vancouver. We fought alot about everything, but stayed together because it seemed each other was all we had. We lived very poor for 3 years in hull and never went out because HE was saving to buy a home. Boy did I hate that.

One day 6 months ago he told me to go to vancouver and not come back until he decided if he wanted to be with me or not. I had no savings, a job or any assets, I literally had the rug pulled out from under me. 3 weeks later he tells me he cant live with out me and wants to be with me forever. While i was there i realized what kind of person i had become an emotionally dependant, housewife and absolutely hated it.

We did not file our taxes as common law, and I thought i could not recieve anything from this guy. If i leave by the way, he says he will be keeping MY DOG. which i brought into the relationship.

Just wanted a second opinion to see if i could actually do anything or if its something that isnt worth pursuing.

I don't understand what you are asking. What do you want?

Comment

i want to know if i can receive support payments, or asset splitting. sorry, it was late when i posted that.

Comment

Originally posted by oraclegirl View Post
        i want to know if i can receive support payments, or asset splitting. sorry, it was late when i posted that.
        You didn't work for four years, lived off of him, and now you want support payments and some of his assets. Is that correct? I don't believe you are entitled morally to anything from what I have read here.

Its your dog though and that should be pretty clear to him.

Comment

I never once said i LIVED off my COMMON LAW partner of 4 YEARS. I took a part time job so i could have time to come home, learn how to cook, clean, put up with never going out in turn enabling him to save money for his quest to home ownership.

My question is, if you reside in QC for 3 of those years, then move to ON for the last year and you aquire 4 years of stuff together, where does it go and can i ask for support payments.

The ONLY reason why i am in Ottawa is because of him. NO other reason at all. but at this point if i move back to calgary, i will again have to start as if it was 4 years ago (Square 1)

He wont give my dog back btw, he told me i have to take him to court for him.

Comment

Men never seem to understand that taking care of the home and everything else is a job in itself, and not 'living off' someone. This is why there is always such terrible fighting when people split up. You are entitled to spousal support, but you have to move quickly and frankly would be more trouble than it's worth. I would move on, and forget him. First I would sneak in to his place and get my dog back. It's still technically your home too.

Comment

Originally posted by jankes71 View Post
              Men never seem to understand that taking care of the home and everything else is a job in itself, and not 'living off' someone. This is why there is always such terrible fighting when people split up. You are entitled to spousal support, but you have to move quickly and frankly would be more trouble than it's worth. I would move on, and forget him. First I would sneak in to his place and get my dog back. It's still technically your home too.
              Yes I don't understand that a single person in a common law relationship who works part time to no time by their own choice to take care of an apartment (how many rooms?) and cook while the other person works full time results in the need for spousal support, or part of the others savings.

As a father of 3, who takes care of them half the time, and a whole house, and a cottage, and the dog, and has his own business, I don't see the job of taking care of the cooking/cleaning for a couple in an apartment without kids as work. I speak from knowledge because I was in that situation for months in a foreign country while my spouse could work and I could not legally. It was basically a vacation for me, and I did ALL the house cleaning, laundry, shopping, and most of the cooking (she really was better than me at that...). It was a vacation, and to think that I would be entitled to her money from that time when she worked a full time job is a joke.

My ex quit her job to raise the kids (gladley with substantial help from me as I worked from home most of the time), and when we split she deserved half of everything and spousal support until her career was up and running. That is what I understand as man (aka person).

As a person, who does take care of his own home and kids, I think that with the exception of some furniture acquired and perhaps a small amount of money to help her get setup for a few months to find a job, I don't think she has a right to any of his assets nor support payments. They were not married, she did not work full time, and sometimes not at all. Her biggest complaint is that SHE could not spend enough of HIS money. The money stops when the relationship stops in this case. The only reason she feels she is starting again is because she did not save any money of her own. Kinda hard to save money when you don't work full time.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X