So she said it....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
    She shouldnt be planning anything on your time. You need to remind her that it is your time and if she is going to refuse to give you make up time then you will consider this denial of access.

You can also offer to take the child to the activities yourself as it is on your agreed upon time.
    She justifies it by saying that our daughter is a teen now and should not be governed by scheduled access times. Easy for her to say considering she has our daughter 90% of the time. My 10% is very valuable and I cherish every moment we can spend together.

I've offered to take our daughter to her activities but she prefers to go with her friends. Then I get an angry text/email with accusations of making our daughter "feel bad" and that I "don't respect her wishes". After the last fiasco at Thanksgiving where I only got to spend 1 day with our daughter instead of the scheduled 4, I thought long and hard about pursuing legal action. But then as time went on, I got cold feet and feared retaliation if I did. And so I did nothing.....again.

Comment

My husbands ex pulled this. He reminded her that his time with the children is limited and he is more than happy to either reschedule his time and/or drive child to and from activities. The statement included “encouraging time with both parents is beneficial to our children”.

Offer to drive kid at other times. Sure as a teen they are going to have lifestyle changes but that doesn’t mean you can’t be involved.

Comment

My husbands ex pulled this. He reminded her that his time with the children is limited and he is more than happy to either reschedule his time and/or drive child to and from activities. The statement included “encouraging time with both parents is beneficial to our children”.

Offer to drive kid at other times. Sure as a teen they are going to have lifestyle changes but that doesn’t mean you can’t be involved.
        Thank you, I will try this the next time this happens and it will.

Comment

Originally posted by tonytwist View Post
          She justifies it by saying that our daughter is a teen now and should not be governed by scheduled access times. Easy for her to say considering she has our daughter 90% of the time. My 10% is very valuable and I cherish every moment we can spend together.

I've offered to take our daughter to her activities but she prefers to go with her friends. Then I get an angry text/email with accusations of making our daughter "feel bad" and that I "don't respect her wishes". After the last fiasco at Thanksgiving where I only got to spend 1 day with our daughter instead of the scheduled 4, I thought long and hard about pursuing legal action. But then as time went on, I got cold feet and feared retaliation if I did. And so I did nothing.....again.
          You need to remind her that it is not the child, but the parent that is responsible for maintaining the parenting schedule. That until the parenting schedule is changed either by agreement or court order, than the current schedule will continue.

Your ex has misconstrued the notion that a judge will listen to the child's wishes about the parenting schedule, with the child gets to decide.

My kid enjoys going out with her friends, which is about 45 minutes away. I've always told my daughter that I would never interfere with her spending time with her friends and not only that, I will facilitate it! I have no problem taking her to or from anything, as we are still able to spend time together. I've been saying this for years, so she knows being with me doesn't mean no friends.

But yeah, you need to nip this in the bud. If the ex says the kid wants to do something, you say sure and that you will ensure that you get her there. That your time together is important, but that so is her time with her friends. But these are not mutually exclusive and can be done as you are willing to facilitate it.

Comment

I'll chime in briefly on this one. I haven't read the full back story / your post history (but might) but..

If this is true "I am not shrink, and have no education in the matter, and Tayken will likely give me the gears for doing this, but the ex (to me) is a typical narcissist. Nothing they do is wrong, nothing you do is right.", and she is indeed somewhat of a narcissist (or cluster B personality disorder), this will be difficult for your daughter at her mom's place and she is now waking up to this. She can now see through the bullshit / smear campaign that her mom has been doing. She now slowly realizes that what she thought was "normal life at home" is not. And I'd venture to say that now that the ex cannot control you, she needs to control someone else.

Make sure your daughter doesn't mention any of this to her mom at this point because this could turn out explosive to say the least.. if there is indeed some personality disorder in there your daughter could move from being "the golden child" to "the bad child". She'll become her mom's scapegoat. She'll also be pissed of possibly losing out on child support.

As for living arrangements, I'd say look into it a bit more. Your ex will likely blame you for doing parental alienation even if it's not the case so you may have to go with OCL so your daughter's voice is heard. In the meantime, maybe try to maximize contacts and offer more visits? It would be a big move for her but may be something to consider at the end of the school year?

If there truly is a personality disorder involved, it's likely not sane for your daughter to stay there. She could end up reproducing this behavior down the road.

(background info: Wife has borderline personality disorder, kids and I are realizing how messed up this all is and the impact on their lives. they are 11 and 15..)

Comment

Originally posted by gettingexpensive View Post
              I'll chime in briefly on this one. I haven't read the full back story / your post history (but might) but..

If this is true "I am not shrink, and have no education in the matter, and Tayken will likely give me the gears for doing this, but the ex (to me) is a typical narcissist. Nothing they do is wrong, nothing you do is right.", and she is indeed somewhat of a narcissist (or cluster B personality disorder), this will be difficult for your daughter at her mom's place and she is now waking up to this. She can now see through the bullshit / smear campaign that her mom has been doing. She now slowly realizes that what she thought was "normal life at home" is not. And I'd venture to say that now that the ex cannot control you, she needs to control someone else.

Make sure your daughter doesn't mention any of this to her mom at this point because this could turn out explosive to say the least.. if there is indeed some personality disorder in there your daughter could move from being "the golden child" to "the bad child". She'll become her mom's scapegoat. She'll also be pissed of possibly losing out on child support.

As for living arrangements, I'd say look into it a bit more. Your ex will likely blame you for doing parental alienation even if it's not the case so you may have to go with OCL so your daughter's voice is heard. In the meantime, maybe try to maximize contacts and offer more visits? It would be a big move for her but may be something to consider at the end of the school year?

If there truly is a personality disorder involved, it's likely not sane for your daughter to stay there. She could end up reproducing this behavior down the road.

(background info: Wife has borderline personality disorder, kids and I are realizing how messed up this all is and the impact on their lives. they are 11 and 15..)

You should have read back and also HDs history. He has done a good job of listening and supporting his kid.

As a child of a BDP child myself, you can teach your kids how to manage and therapy is also very effective.

Comment

You should have read back and also HDs history. He has done a good job of listening and supporting his kid.

As a child of a BDP child myself, you can teach your kids how to manage and therapy is also very effective.
                Oh definitely! He seems to be doing a great job. I just wanted to be sure that he fully realizes the impact that he can have. His role as a father in this case is likely more important than he ever imagined if BPD/NPD is indeed involved.

Comment

Thanks. I try my best to stay supportive of my daughter, while making sure I do not bad mouth my ex. Though, my ex doesn't show the same level of respect. In reading my daughters phone there are messages from my ex say that she is "the only parent you have" to my daughter and that I am never around. Or telling her to call her "loser, el cheapo dad" because my daughter missed her school bus and the ex was upset about it messing up her morning to bring our kid to school.

Right now, I just want to give my kid a place she can come to knowing that she can relax and be a teen. Hangout with the local kids, chill upstairs or go do an activity together, I am cool with all of it. She doesn't get out much at my ex's place except for dance, so I want to have experiences that I had.

The topic didn't come up this weekend. I have a feeling it is one of those topics that will only arise when they are fighting, which according to both of them is pretty often. The ex will fight it to the bitter end should my daughter choose my place as it would be about a $2k hit to her budget (my cs of over $1k, her paying me cs and losing any tax benefit), notwithstanding the optics of it.

Should the kid bring it up again, I will let her know she has a home with me if she wants it. That I will support her no matter what though and simply go from there. This is a no pressure, no timeline type issue.
                  Last edited by HammerDad; 11-01-2019, 09:19 AM.

Comment

If I can ask, is your daughter ok with you to go through her phone?

Comment

Originally posted by Ana Ana View Post
                      If I can ask, is your daughter ok with you to go through her phone?

My children don’t have a choice. They are not adults and therefore we will always check through their phones and social media. It’s about keeping children safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hmmm, I checked my children’s phones/emails/social media when they were young to help indentify bullying and relationship power imbalances they may not have been able to articulate to me. I used it as an apportunity to have discussions about risk assessment, relationships, boundaries, healthy communication, what to say when someone you love says something negative about someone else you love etc (unfortunately there are a couple lose-cannon personality disordered individuals in my family). But a 15 year old deserves privacy (she is old enough to give consent to medical procedures so the law also recognizes maturity at 14).

If your concern is safety, you should not be reading her private txts between her and her mother - if you have serious concerns about her safety with her mother you should be calling CAS/the police.

Reading the txts is just prolonging the conflict between you and your co-parent and inserting your daughter in the middle. She is clearly learning to just “go along to get along” with both of you (completely disempowering her) and this WILL have lasting damage on your relationship once she is no longer financially/emotionally dependent on you.

This may have been motivated by wanting to protect her, but going through a 15 year olds txts (with or without her coerced permission) is controlling behaviour.
                        Last edited by tilt; 11-03-2019, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tilt View Post
                          Hmmm, I checked my children’s phones/emails/social media when they were young to help indentify bullying and power imbalances they may not have been able to articulate to me. I used it as an apportioning to have division about risk assessment etc. But a 15 year old deserves privacy (she is old enough to give consent to medical procedures so the law also recognizes maturity at 14).

If your concern is safety, you should not be reading her private txts between her and her mother - if you have serious concerns about her safety with her mother you should be calling CAS/the police.

Reading the txts is just prolonging the conflict between you and your co-parent and inserting your daughter in the middle. She is clearly learning to just go along to her along with both of you (completely disempowering her) and this WILL have lasting damage on your relationship once she is no longer financially/emotionally dependent on you.

This may have been motivated by wanting to protect her, but going through a 15 year olds txts (with or without her coerced permission) is controlling behaviour.

Still disagree... how many 15/16/17 year olds end up in the sex trade or wrapped up in illegal behaviour? They cannot get a cell phone in their own name until they are an adult, social media dictates a minimum age for use, until they are an adult I will always monitor what they do. And yes even skimming texts that appear to be to/from the other parent... you know how easy it is to change a name of a contact? If my children don’t like the rules, well then they don’t get their cell phones, social media, email, etc.

Comment

Yep, i’ve worked with teens that entered the sex trade; in a majority of cases the parents are either too controlling or completely lax. You cannot expect that by invading a teens privacy at 15/16/17 and then suddenly they can adult (and have full privacy) at 18 and make good choices. You can have conversations about relationships and communication where you listen, really listen, in a non-judgemental way, to their concerns and guide them as a parent without violating their privacy. Disempowerment and learned helplessness in teens makes for unhealthy adults that fall into controlling relationships (usually where the partner is ALSO monitoring the txts and social media - see the repetition of the pattern?)

Comment

Originally posted by tilt View Post
                              Yep, i’ve worked with teens that entered the sex trade; in a majority of cases the parents are either too controlling or completely lax. You cannot expect that by invading a teens privacy at 15/16/17 and then suddenly they can adult (and have full privacy) at 18 and make good choices. You can have conversations about relationships and communication where you listen, really listen, in a non-judgemental way, to their concerns and guide them as a parent without violating their privacy. Disempowerment and learned helplessness in teens makes for unhealthy adults that fall into controlling relationships (usually where the partner is ALSO monitoring the txts and social media - see the repetition of the pattern?)

It is not invading a teens privacy to make sure they are safe. You cannot have conversations if you don’t know situations are happening. You parent your way, but I’ll continue monitor my children’s cell phones and social media accounts. You can have conversations until you’re blue in the face but those who groom children/teens know how to do it without making them feel like anything is wrong. Sorry but I still disagree.

Comment

My daughter doesn't know I am looking, but she does know her mother checks her phone regularly (including conversations between D and I). I check for both safety reasons and simply for info. I can't try to fix what I don't know about.

I don't let me daughter know that I know what is being said. I don't bring it up with the ex or let it create extra friction. This is simply information gathering and enlightening myself to what is being said. I am not one to get upset, by it helps me with my D to know why she may be upset.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X