This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ending child support or transferring to child

I was wondering if anyone can answer a question for me. My boyfriend has a daughter, who lives in Quebec. He currently pays child support to the mother in the amount of $568 per month. His daughter is 17 years old and has dropped out of school and is working full time and going to adult education. His payments come right of his bank account from FRO.

My question is, what are his options if he chooses to end the support. His divorce agreement states his support will end when she is finished her education, but if she is out of the school system and taking only 1 course at a time in adult education, it will take her years to get her high school education.

Also, if he does choose to end the support being paid to the mother, can he give money to his daughter and then claim that as child support. We live in Ontario.

She will be eighteen in March and will not be in a formal school program. He also has an resp for her which will pay for her college education.

Any info would be great.

thanks
    Kelly

Originally posted by kelly001 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone can answer a question for me. My boyfriend has a daughter, who lives in Quebec. He currently pays child support to the mother in the amount of $568 per month. His daughter is 17 years old and has dropped out of school and is working full time and going to adult education. His payments come right of his bank account from FRO.

My question is, what are his options if he chooses to end the support. His divorce agreement states his support will end when she is finished her education, but if she is out of the school system and taking only 1 course at a time in adult education, it will take her years to get her high school education.

Also, if he does choose to end the support being paid to the mother, can he give money to his daughter and then claim that as child support. We live in Ontario.

She will be eighteen in March and will not be in a formal school program. He also has an resp for her which will pay for her college education.

The general rule is that once the child reaches the age of majority and is no longer in school or has with drawn from the care of the custodial parent, (living onthier own, or self supportive), the support paying parent can seek to have support terminated. If the child is only taking a course here and there, this is similar to being out of school particularly if she is employed and supporting herself.

I think his best bet would be to speak to a lawyer, one that offers a 1/2 hour or 1 hour free consult to review his options. He may be in a position to withdraw from FRO and have support stop, (particularly if his agreement referances this) and only support the child for educational reasons at his own discretion. Paying for education beyond high school is not mandatory, the child is expected to contribute to their own education at that point in their life.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X