Sending letters to MP to fix Family Law! Please provide feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rvalentines View Post
    Everyone here is saying the same thing which I agree with, too many parties DO NOT want to change the current system as it is BIG MONEY for Lawyers.
    Not everyone was saying this...

I refer to me, and I always agree with me.

Comment

SCC Judgement that ought to make some people think

The Supreme Court of Canada (SCC) Judgement that ought to make some people think is D.B.S. v. S.R.G.

In this judgement, the SCC stated:
      Per McLachlin C.J. and Bastarache, LeBel and Deschamps JJ.: Parents have an obligation to support their children in a manner commensurate with their income, and this obligation and the children’s concomitant right to support exist independently of any statute or court order.
      Forget about the rightness or wrongness of child support per say and look at the larger picture for a second (this will be difficult for some members of this forum). In this judgement the SCC asserts that it has the authority to bestow rights on one group at the expense of another group without any actual statutes (laws on the books) serving as a foundation of that. As long as they can do that, it sort of renders irrelevant legislative debate, democracy, elections, writing letters to MP's and all that bullshit.

Comment

I am one of the victims. I've spent $50k in 6 months and I have no access to my kids. This does not include the $50k I will need to pay my criminal lawyer to defend me against my wife's false allegations.
        Except you are partially a victim of your own stupid actions. You DID have time with your kids and you didn’t like what you had and pushed for more—against advice from many people. You did damage to your case yourself.

It is really disingenuous to lump yourself in with thousands of dads who have done all the right things, followed their lawyer’s advice and don’t make boneheaded decisions. Yes the system is messed up but there are a number of people who are true victims of the system and what a lot of you don’t get is that many of those people are kids. The ones who aren’t getting support or have been kidnapped or alienated.

Comment

Yes - I admit I made stupid decisions. And yes I admit I went against the advice of this community and my OWN lawyer who predicted this would happen. I dismissed it as "fear-mongering".

But it came from a good place. I wanted to see my children 50/50. I was upset that I was only a "weekend dad". It didn't come out of anger but love for my kids and to be more involved.

Should I have been punished for that? Have my access removed? How is that fair to the kids?

I have learned my lesson. I need to listen to experts around me and folks who have already experienced what I've gone through.

Comment

Yes - I admit I made stupid decisions. And yes I admit I went against the advice of this community and my OWN lawyer who predicted this would happen. I dismissed it as "fear-mongering".

But it came from a good place. I wanted to see my children 50/50. I was upset that I was only a "weekend dad". It didn't come out of anger but love for my kids and to be more involved.

Should I have been punished for that? Have my access removed? How is that fair to the kids?

I have learned my lesson. I need to listen to experts around me and folks who have already experienced what I've gone through.
            I'm not quite sure if you're an abusive dick or not. Some of your posts have suggested you are...but maybe not.

We all make mistakes during the divorce process. It's a given. Sometimes it's a financial blunder, sometimes it hurts your chances with securing time with your kids. Nothing cannot be undone. Even my ex who threatened to kill his own kid- he gets a second chance at 50/50 and shared custody- he will continue to get that if he listens to his therapist and the people around him (his lawyer). This board is a great wealth of advice- big time. Some of the best advice that got me through my divorce came from people on here- and two pieces come to mind when I read your posts- divorce is a marathon, not a sprint, so pace yourself. Also- divorce is a like a giant apple- take small bites, and don't try to shove the whole thing in your mouth at once.

And this one is from me- emotion will cost you money. Tame your emotions. Emotions means worry- and it means calls and correspondence with your lawyer- probably unnecessarily. Which is going to cost you money - as well as tax you mentally.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X