Online Learning - Do we have to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Online Learning - Do we have to?

My partner has 50/50 shared parenting of his two children aged 4 and 5 on a 2/2/3 schedule. They attend kindergarten classes at a local public school, however, like most public schools in Ontario, it’s been closed since Christmas. The children have access to online learning.

My question is this - to what degree are we obligated to ensure they participate in online learning?

I’m not sure how many of you have younger children but getting them both in front of laptops/iPads and actively participating is hard, at least in our experience. They are interested in some activities - one likes the cartoon stories, another likes the art stuff - but both are mostly not interested at all, and they can’t be fully trusted unsupervised with expensive tech. We are struggling to balance work obligations with essentially hand holding these kids through their e-learning programs which is impossible. Even dropping everything else, I find the day goes better if we turn off the screens and just do some at home activities or outdoor play. The gist of it is, we log on every day and do our best but usually by about 1-2p we throw in the towel and log out (class activities run from about 9-3:30 with breaks for snack, lunch, etc.).

The issue is that mom is not happy with our level of participation. She’s so unhappy that she’s engaged our parenting coordinator on the premise that she is better able to support them in online learning so the kids should stay with her for that portion of every day.

Is that realistic? Will a PC find that the kids should stay with her for school every day instead? Or is this one of those situations where she doesn’t like how we’re parenting but that’s too bad? There are kids in the class that don’t show up at all. As long as we’re making an effort, is that good enough?

I think the PC is going to err on the side of whoever can devote enough attention to the kids. I mean- online learning aside- if mom in this case IS able to spend more time with them during the day helping with their schooling- on TEMPORARY basis- why not let her have 9-4 during the week? And you guys split the weekends? or go to EOW.

Although on the other hand- why should she have to do all of that.

You guys wanted 50/50- crying about not trusting the kids with expensive tech and "hand-holding" (that line is particularly offensive)- deal with it. Everyone else with young children are.

Comment

Kindergarten is not mandatory. Children are not required to attend. Judges do look long and hard at parents that support a child's education.

Comment

Originally posted by OpenSesame View Post
        My question is this - to what degree are we obligated to ensure they participate in online learning?
        Is there an active custody battle?

Yes

You make the kids do all the educating that is humanely possible. You do not want to get the label of the "anti-education" parent.

No

Take the kids out for a hike and ignore the school. As Tayken said, kindergarten is not mandatory

Will a PC find that the kids should stay with her for school every day instead?
        Do parent coordinators have that kind of power?

Yes
        I would say "we have been actively engaging the kids in outdoor activites which we feel is in their best interests. We strongly believe that screens are not appropriate for children under 6 years old. However, if you (the PC) believes otherwise, we are willing to accomodate some school"

No

Why do you care what the PC says?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X