Hiring a lawyer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiring a lawyer

I posted, I think 6 months ago regarding my spouse filing in Alberta and him trying to get a judgement against me in Alberta when I live in Nova Scotia. He got an Order, but nothing that he wanted and in the Order it says he has to get a Provisional Order. We have been divorced for 9 years.

He has nastily told me he will file in Nova Scotia, in a Court, outside of Halifax, that I likely will not be able to get to because I don't drive. I am not sure if he can do that or not and I don't want to talk to him or his lawyer. The Maintenance Enforcement Program in Alberta has informed the Maintenance Enforcement Program in Nova Scotia that they have received a Letter of Intent from his lawyer and they will be filing in July. I didn't know an Alberta lawyer can represent him here in Nova Scotia.

In any event, I don't really want to represent myself because every lie he tells drives me batshit and it takes too much time to look everything up. I think I have enough saved for a retainer.

My question is how do I find a lawyer that will deal with this matter where there is nothing in front of the Courts until he files and it gets to Nova Scotia from Alberta. What I want is for the lawyer to get the paperwork and prepare the information to go to Court as well as deal with him and his lawyer. I don't want to speak with him or his lawyer.

Sorry for the length and any advice is appreciated.

He has to serve you anything he files which would require your response. You would best find a lawyer who can do that. You SHOULD wait to have your lawyer work for you until he files otherwise he could run up your bill with emails and useless correspondence.

If he files in another court you can respond that you want the jurisdiction moved to where you live. A lawyer can help you with that.

Take a deep breath, he wasnt successful in his last attempt and is now simply being a dick. A court in nova scotia is not going to be kind to him with that attitude.

Comment

Thank you

Thank you for your response.

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
      He has to serve you anything he files which would require your response. You would best find a lawyer who can do that. You SHOULD wait to have your lawyer work for you until he files otherwise he could run up your bill with emails and useless correspondence.

If he files in another court you can respond that you want the jurisdiction moved to where you live. A lawyer can help you with that.

Take a deep breath, he wasnt successful in his last attempt and is now simply being a dick. A court in nova scotia is not going to be kind to him with that attitude.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X