Expenses after separation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expenses after separation

I've been paying all the expenses for the matrimonial home (mortgage, bills, all renovations and repairs) and all the children's expenses ever since my ex wife changed the locks on the home after I moved out.

I don't have a separation agreement so when we finally retroactively calculate everything how does everything get credited? Will all the money I have given her she claims is child support get reclassified as spousal so I can finally deduct taxes on it.

I can barely afford a lawyer after paying my own rent and food since I can't get a mortgage either because she's sitting in the house.

Will all the money I have given her she claims is child support get reclassified as spousal so I can finally deduct taxes on it.
    Probably not.

Hopefully you get some credit.

Prepare for the fact that without an agreement, you may just be making a generous donation to your ex.

Comment

My husband did similar for his ex… paid the mortgage and bills, then gave her cash for groceries and other expenses. He claimed the paid expenses as spousal but was denied because he paid everything directly. There was a rule about the money having never been in her hands.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X