Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Divorce due to Covid

Hi,

My best friend has confided in me that she is about ready to file for divorce from her husband.

**Let me continue by saying this might not be a post for people who are anti-vaccine and who believe the conspiracy theories. I kindly ask that if that is you, please skip this post and keep the discourse civil and on topic. Thank you.**

She has told me that he has bought into all of the conspiracy theories and is quite literally having a nervous breakdown in front of her and the children (2, 5 and 10). I know he has always been susceptible to this kind of thing. We’ve had a number of heated debates over the years, but I haven’t been over in a year so I can’t imagine how bad this must have gotten for an otherwise easy-going person like my friend to say she can’t expose her kids to this any longer. She has tried to talk sense into him for a year and to hold the family together but to no avail and outside sources keep feeding the insanity.

She wants to ask for sole custody but with regular visitation as she doesn’t believe he’ll injure the kids, but that he can’t make an intelligently informed decision on their needs and care. Their eldest questions Dad’s state of mind and actions. The younger two don’t understand that there is a problem but are picking up on the growing tensions.

She’s worried that he has the financial upper hand because he has a secure union job and she lost her long-term job because of covid. She managed to land an online customer service job, but there is no security in it and it’s half of what she was making with crappy benefits. They own a home (mortgage) with all debt in both names.

What advice can I pass along to her?

What advice can I pass along to her?
    That she should retain legal counsel. Interview three lawyers if possible and then pick the one who doesn't overpromise, but gives an honest assessment of her situation.

That 'sole custody' doesn't exist anymore, but has been replaced with 'decision making'.

That mediation is probably a good idea for them to explore.

And that the courts will favour a parent who makes medical decisions based on the recommendations of their doctor and not YouTube videos.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X