This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Common Law question RE: property

I just have a question. I am currenly living common law with my partner have been since June 2005 he owns a home with his mother my name is not on the property. If we marry down the road and if the marriage breaks am I entitled to a portion of that property like equity that was made or accumulated from the date of marriage to the date of it ending or would it be full equity in the property that I would entitled too? Just wasn't sure how that was calculated or worked.

Thanks in advance!!
    T

Taestoy,

I believe you would as the home is presented as the matrimonial home.

lv

Comment

Thanks LV

Thank you very much for the reply, I wonder though if the equity would start from date of marriage on if would just be a portion of the equity in total? So many complciated issue's eh!!

Thanks!
      T

Comment

I believe the equity would start on the date of the marriage less the mother's share as she is a co-owner of said property. Do you know what the current ownership of the home is between your common law partner and his mother?ie: 50-50, 60-40, 70-30, etc? It might be useful to know same.

lv

Comment

Thanks LV

Yes there share is 50/50 split between the 2 of them. That would make sense that it would start at date of marriage.

Thanks again.
          T

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X