This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Billiechic,

I noticed you said you have MS and you are still working. I have to go to court on the 27th of June for a MIP Mandatory Information Program and I have no clue what this is.
    My husband has MS and he's going after me for support. Before everyone jumps :-) I would like to respond by saying he's using it as a crutch so that he doesn't have to work. He's had it since 1996 and it's still quite mild. He hunts, walks the bush, climbs tree stands, puts up deer decoy tents, fishes, drives, snowblows the yards after a storm or hand shovels, cuts the grass and can spend a whole day walking at a sports show in Ottawa or driving any kind of distance.
    I'm on a work pension and CPP and that's my only means of support. He's also on a pension. His lawyer has told my lawyer I have to go back to work to support him. I also have medical problems advanced facet osteoarthritis with an 8mm anterior spondylolisthesis of L4 on L5.
    His lawyer says he's been totally disabled since 2004 and it's so not true. I keep telling him he can get a part time job to help support himself.
    This past November we hunted together with a group of friends. Three days ago I get a visit from the police, he said I threatened to kill him ...what!!!....
    they take away my gun, then the firearm registry calls me up and tells me I have to get my Dr. to fill in a medical form stating I'm not criminal...OMG!!! He's telling them I'm unstable, abusive ect. I've lived with this man for 35 years and not once has he gone to the hospital or the police for any kind of abuse...my God he's 6'1 and I'm 5'. I'm at my wits end. I understand that separation causes a lot of anger but for someone to ruin a person's credibility with this kind of accusation is irreparable.
    How come you are able to work and he claims he can't...can he get away with this?
    Sorry for the long winded note
    Thanks everyone for the ears
    Lorac :-)

Comment

MS takes a different and unpredictable path for every person. My sister was diagnosed with it 15 years ago, and with daily copaxone injections has not had any significant symptoms that affect her life (Accountant + Biker). Fingers crossed - that could change dramatically tomorrow.

I don't think that she has been given any instructions to avoid stress/exertion to help slow progression of the disease.

Sympathies for your situation - if you can get sound evidence of what you are stating, and organize it well for a judge, it sounds like you SHOULD be able to fight this.
      Last edited by dinkyface; 06-20-2011, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Depression Medication

Hello Dinkyface,

Thank you for the quick response. I do have proof of his ability to get along just fine. As I mentioned earlier we hunt, and November of 2010 was no different. I have pictures of him walking through the fields, putting up his decoy Deer Tent, video of him snowblowing our yard and shoveling it...our lot is 50x150, driving his vehicle an Avalanche 2003. He does not need the help of any walking device...not a cane, walker, or wheelchair.

Sadly I don't have the funds to keep fighting him. He's an only child and his mother pays all his expenses so he can drag this on forever. His mother also paid cash for his Avalanche and he's telling his lawyer she only paid the remaining balance...$38,000.00 cash she paid for this vehicle, that's the whole price of the truck.

Thank you very much for the advice
        Take care
        Lorac :-)

Comment

I'm sorry I haven't been active here for a while.
          As to MS, mine has been almost non-exisitant for 9 years. I did just have a small relapse and am now taking medication for fatigue, but I am well enough to work a regular job. for now.

But MS is an unpredictable disease, and it can change rapidly. Nobody follows the same disease course. If you ex is on disability, then at some point his MS was severe enough that he wasn't able to work. But that doesn't mean he isn't able to support himself now, or work part time. Because of the possibility of recovery, he should only have been granted some form of temporary disability, which would need to be re-assessed over intervals.

You do have a case, but you are going to have to do a lot of detective work to prove he is fit to work. Even people with severe MS can muster up the strength to go hunting for a day. Even if they are in bed for the next 3 days recovering (this happened to me when I relapsed..after 4 hours at Canadas Wonderland)

What doesn't make sense to me is why this is only becoming an issue now. Did he work during your relationship? were you unaware of his medical condition, or quite content with him taking disability payments even though you knew he was able to work? Funny how things that are "accepted" during a relationship become sticking points in divorce..do we all suddenly grow morality detectors???

Comment

My husband had a spinal tap and an MRI to determine his MS. On the 17 I have to take our son for testing because they suspect him of having MS also. He's 32, let the games begin.

Comment

There is no one specific test for MS, but if you're concerned you need to be speaking to your doctor and a neurologist, not a divorce forum.
              Last edited by blinkandimgone; 08-12-2011, 11:28 AM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Thank you so much for sharing! It's not easy to admit that but I am sure we are all in the same boat at some level. I could probably use a little something since I'm also going through - okay guy, are you ready! - MENOPAUSE! Yep, on top of all this shit I've started menopause. Crap! hahaha! And ... my iron is low ... so overall my coping skills are lessened since I'm not sleeping due to separation, menopause and I'm generally just tired because of low iron. My poor boss - he doesn't know what to do with me! Thank goodness he's a gem! But, I'm getting out there and still exercising even though I'm dragging my butt and I'm eating healthy .... Thanks again - that was a big step for you and I appreciate you opening the door for others!

Comment

Originally posted by Sax View Post
                  MENOPAUSE! !
                  Wow...Good luck Sax...I'm having a hard time just dealing with the stress of the separation/divorce...Couldn't handle the 'heat' flashes (ha sorry) on top of it ! Yikes...

Comment

I managed to get through the emotional roller coaster of my divorce for the last year without meds with the support of friends and family. But now that I have a separation agreement and divorce order on the way, I'm finding it hard to cope with a subsequent police and children's aid society investigation. It all makes no sense to me, it's very overwhelming, and you're rendered completely powerless in the grip of those thugs.

I finally decided I needed help coping with the stress, anxiety and depression of being cut off from my kids and go to see my doctor.

What does she do? Nothing. She admits that she can understand how it could be hard to go through all of this as a mother, but implies that as a man I should be somehow be strong enough.

Comment

Originally posted by winterwolf7 View Post
                      What does she do? Nothing. She admits that she can understand how it could be hard to go through all of this as a mother, but implies that as a man I should be somehow be strong enough.
                      Go to another doctor or walk in clinic or emergency. I had an interesting conversation last week with a psychiatrist and he said that nothing would happen in court for seeking help, and going on meds to help with divorce / separation. However anyone who tried anything to hurt themselves could have this used against them by the other parent. I am NOT saying that this is what u r thinking...I just thought this might be helpful info for anyone who might read this thread who is at the end of their rope.

Go online and look for divorce support groups as well on your area. It's a good place to have an outlet and be around others who will understand some of what u r going through.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X