what did you do with your rings/dress ect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what did you do with your rings/dress ect

Wondering what others have done with this stuff as not sure what to do, and how long did you hang onto these items after separated? married a long time so I want to keep my wedding album as I put it together and I don't feel like I can just erase the past for the children's sake. I loved my dress but why am I hanging on to it? Yet it is also older now and out of date so its not like I can sell it. Ill probably just hang onto it, for lack of knowing what to do. rings sitting in a jewlery box for now.

Dress - gave it to neighbor who used it for vampire/scary Halloween costume - a fitting end to The Dress.

Ring - custom-made into new ring

Photos - ex's b/d was last month so sent him a photo album (son helped me put together).

Comment

Originally posted by denbigh View Post
      Wondering what others have done with this stuff as not sure what to do, and how long did you hang onto these items after separated? married a long time so I want to keep my wedding album as I put it together and I don't feel like I can just erase the past for the children's sake. I loved my dress but why am I hanging on to it? Yet it is also older now and out of date so its not like I can sell it. Ill probably just hang onto it, for lack of knowing what to do. rings sitting in a jewlery box for now.

My parents aren't divorced but with my moms wedding dress she had it made into a baby dress that my niece was baptized in. Rings, make into new ones or sell. Or save and make into something for your children

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sold the dress a week after the wedding.
        Still married but separated 6 years and burned many of the photos on various separation dates ( separated 5x before the final time) . Kept some.

As for the rings... melted the plain gold wedding ring down and took the diamonds from the engagement ring and then... had then put into the browband of my horse's bridle.

Comment

Threw the f&%king ring in a pond and the wedding suit is the same one I'll be buried in.......problem solved.

On reflection, should have sold the ring, buried the suit, and thrown her in a pond........

Comment

My mother kept the photos of both her wedding and my father which was good for us. She didnt have them on display or anything but we could go back and look at our parents when they were happy. Im pretty sure she still has her ring in a box.

My partner rented a tux and his ring is in a bag of gold we combined to sell.

If you have kids, remember they have mixed emotions about it and may one day want to see the things from the day. As much as the divorce/other person hurt you, they are the other parent and its complicated for the kids.

That said, my partners kids thought he should have photos of his ex up in our home. They lose sight of the fact that the photos of HIM that are in their mothers home are in their rooms and with them in it.

Comment

Yes , I have left family photos up where they were and will continue to do so. I dont think it is fair to kids to just erase the fact we all lived together once.

Comment

I didn't have a wedding dress.

Rings...I gave them to my kids.

Pictures. I boxed up the ones that I thought he would want with just him and the kids and gave them to him. The ones with me and him in them I shredded...there weren't many luckily.

Comment

This thread takes me back down memory lane to when ex and I first separated. Our son went to his father's place and was shown around all the rooms - his father had set up house with the g/f. I will never forget my son telling me afterwards about going into the master bedroom and seeing ex and my wedding picture hanging on one side of the wall and the girlfriend & husband's wedding picture hanging beside it. Is that not bizarre? Nothing like going to bed every night with reminder of failed marriage staring you in the face.

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
                    This thread takes me back down memory lane to when ex and I first separated. Our son went to his father's place and was shown around all the rooms - his father had set up house with the g/f. I will never forget my son telling me afterwards about going into the master bedroom and seeing ex and my wedding picture hanging on one side of the wall and the girlfriend & husband's wedding picture hanging beside it. Is that not bizarre? Nothing like going to bed every night with reminder of failed marriage staring you in the face.

That is beyond bizarre to me. I can't believe his new girlfriend would be ok with that!

I have all my wedding photos boxed up in a far corner of my closet. One day my kids may want to see them which is what prevented me from just throwing it all in the garbage. I want them to have the choice and I'm sure they'll be curious. My dress is still in my closet but only out of laziness and the fact that it's probably out of date.

I sold the rings. Then I used the money to pay off some of the debt I was amassing when my ex found out I was seeing someone three months after the final separation and he stopped payments. Ah, good times.

Comment

Originally posted by Ange71727 View Post
                      That is beyond bizarre to me. I can't believe his new girlfriend would be ok with that!

I have all my wedding photos boxed up in a far corner of my closet. One day my kids may want to see them which is what prevented me from just throwing it all in the garbage. I want them to have the choice and I'm sure they'll be curious. My dress is still in my closet but only out of laziness and the fact that it's probably out of date.

I sold the rings. Then I used the money to pay off some of the debt I was amassing when my ex found out I was seeing someone three months after the final separation and he stopped payments. Ah, good times.

If you met his g/f you'd understand. I can't understand my ex wanting to gaze every day at wedding pictures of his g/f and her husband (our former long-term employee) hanging at the end of their bed. They are both f**cked up and are deserving of each other.

I had my diamond rings made into a new ring. When I moved I forgot about it at the jeweler so had a friend pick it up. Still haven't seen it as it's in her safe. Must be a bad omen or something.

Comment

Maybe he sees them like diplomas for higher learning arabian ha!

Comment

First marriage.. on a whim, pawned my wedding band for $20. Bought me a nice lunch!

2nd... just threw it in my dresser. IDK, probably sell it someday, don't think about it much.

Wedding photos: Just boxed them in the basement.. the kids might like them someday.

Comment

My daughters dress remains in the bridal store uncollected. Her engagement ring diamond was demand back so she pried it out of the gold setting and threw it back to her ex. Sad memories remain

Comment

I still have my dress, thinking my daughter may want to do something with it.

I sold the gold from my rings for a nice return. Had the diamond popped out and made into a nice pendant for my daughter.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X