This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still a rookie after three years of court

Took my material in for my settlement conference, all pleased I wasn't rushed this time...well crap, I get to the court house a two hour drive away and I find out I'm too late to file docs in court!!

I'm an idiot, why was I thinking it all had to be served only two days prior? I served the parties on time, my ex and the OCL but not the court....I'm trying to reach a settlement on the major issues, I put forward a very detailed offer to settle and I'm hoping to get this agreement on consent now.

Anyway, the clerks told me I could ask the judge if he'll allow it but regardless I wanted the judge to read some of the material.

noob!!!

Comment

shit happens. There is so many things you are trying to keep track of that something was bound to be forgotten.

Maybe get one of those bigger calenders where you can write important dates on them like when to file stuff, or any upcoming divorce things?

Comment

Yeah, been trying to stay on the ball better. A big calendar is a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by wretchedotis View Post
          noob!!!
          Big time! So much at stake, the judge gave very one sided advice because he didn't see my presentation of the facts.

Comment

Only a conference.

It's nice to have all the i's dotted and t's crossed - but not the end of the world to be otherwise.

You must realize that should you go to trial - you will need to be much more prepared, I hope?

Judges advice are certainly important to hear, and more so understand.

But if you believe that your cause is just and are willing to risk the loss should your arguement fail - well then it really doesn't matter what the Judge has to say. Be it positive or negative to you.

Comment

You could further consider that you had the benefit of hearing a Judges' thought's on a one sided arguement. The other side had no such benefit.

Use that to your benefit.

AHA! The silver lining...

Comment

^agree with WO. It has been my experience that judges are extremely patient with self-represented individuals. Perhaps there is a silver-lining by hearing the judge's opinion.

Don't beat yourself up over this. Pick yourself up and carry on.

Comment

Thanks WO and Arabian. Proceeding to trial full steam ahead. Need to move like Neo in the Matrix ...

Comment

You will do well because you are well-prepared and have done your research. In another life you would be a law professor. Hey if you are still young you should consider some University courses. I see you are able to take a pile of 'stuff' and make it into a beautiful document. Be proud of yourself. I haven't read your SA for some time but I felt at the time that it was articulate and expressed your compassion of the importance of doing the right thing by your children.

All the best and do keep us posted. When is your trial?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                    Working...
                    X