Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 01:31 PM

Duped is on a distinguished road
Default Bankruptcy and separation

My ex combined bankruptcy and separation, did both at arroud the same time.

The effect of this has been to dump all shared debt on me and require me to pay $9000 to the trustee in order to remain in the matrimonial home.

She has also emptied out the entire contents of the house Approx $25000 worth.

Since she was the sole provider and I was the stay at home parent, I don't have the $9000 to give to save the house and I am falling behind approx $450 each month on the bills.

She has also taken a one year leave of absence from her employment as a teacher(essentually reducing her income to zero)

I have also built up a 10000 legal bill fighting for custody of our son.

In one of the judges decisions, he stated that there was no reason why we could not have separated amicably and that she acted purly out of selfish means.

My questions are what sort of equalization and support can I expect to get? If I am awarded some form of equalization, will it just be added to her bankruptcy? I their a way to have the house excluded from the bankruptcy or to have my ex pay the trustee for the equity in the home? Will I be able to reclaim some of my legal fees put out to get joint shared custody?

Thanks
Duped
Old 01-12-2006, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Jeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud of
Default Bankruptcy and Divorce

Those are great questions. The intersection of bankruptcy and divorce is pretty complicated. Also, there's not much information about this available. I'll write something up for you over the next day or so.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:57 PM

hubby will become famous soon enough

Duped,

Those are definately difficult circumstances to experience ... you have to be a strong person to survive something like that. Our hearts go out to you.

Her actions seem almost premeditated.

Know this, when you fight by the sword, you die by the sword. What she has done to you will be done unto her ... a thousand fold. Oh, how can people be so cruel?

Rest assured, Jeff will be able to provide some invaluable information on this topic. See, tides are already turning in your favor.

Hubby
Old 01-12-2006, 03:10 PM

Default it was premeditated...

Yes, it was premeditated! Aparently she had been planning this since early spring, involved her parents in the planning and was only waiting for the right moment to execute her plan.

Although i am strong, i almost did not make it this far, I had to seek counciling and continue to use counceling on a weekly basis to maintain my strength.

My ex admitted to intending to destroy me completely from all directions so as to prevent me from having the means or will to fight for custody. It backfired, rage has gotten me this far. The worst thing in this whole thing is not the destruction of my life but that of our son, to destroy me, she had to destroy him, and he suffers greatly from it.

Thanks for the help and kind words
Duped
Old 01-12-2006, 03:33 PM

Default The secret to getting to the finish line

Duped,

You are stonger than you know. Rage helped you to get up on your feet, let love, compassion and foregiveness take you across to the finish line in first place ok?

You know, I was on the bus this week and while I was getting off ... I could read the advertisement on the back of a bus that said ... "Doing this simple exercise can make you strong". That simple exercise was to put the two hands together and pray.

Your day of justice will come ... it will.

Blessings and peace be unto you.

Hubby
Old 01-12-2006, 03:36 PM

Aden is on a distinguished road
Default I hear you duped...

Hello, I too just found out that my ex- has decided to file as of yesterday for bankruptcy so as to realease her half of our joint debts... It is a blow on an already offset situation that I am so done with.. I have to wait and see what it entails but it is going to be tough... I am just making enough to pay for support... I have to make some big decisions fast..
My heart goes out to you...
Old 01-12-2006, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Jeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud of
Default Family Law and Bankruptcy

Yes, bankruptcy really makes an already messy situation even worse. Here's a brief summary of the legal situation:
http://www.ottawadivorce.com/blog/20...nd-bankruptcy/
Old 01-12-2006, 03:54 PM

Default Details

ADEN,

I know everything you are about to go through, I feel for you.

The only thing I can say to you is details. I collected and forensically sorted through the details of my ex's bankruptcy, the conclusion was that she lied greatly on the forms and acted in bad faith. From there i wrote and mailed a letter of full disclosure to all her creditors and the bankruptcy trustee detailing every detail and how it was in bad faith, including the specific information on the spending spree she went on just prior to declairing bankruptcy.

The response from the creditor's was positive, two have removed me from responsibility of the debt and the rest have acknowledged that they will be sueing her after her bankruptcy is finalized. Aparently while bankrupt, legally she is untouchable, however once it is finalized, they can go after her individually for the amounts owed to them based on a bad faith bankruptcy.

She will have up to five separate lawsuits filed against her following her bankruptcy.

Track down the details and go through them with a fine tooth comb.

If you require help, please contact me, I am no expert but am miticulous about details and the truth.

Best of luck

Duped
Old 01-12-2006, 05:28 PM

Hanging On is on a distinguished road

That is unbelievable! How can people do that? Hubby is right... what goes around comes around. I am glad that you had the strength to do what you did! Hang in there, there has got to be a way out.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:22 AM

Default Dont take the easy way, take the hard way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanging On
Hang in there, there has got to be a way out.
Several times in scripture, the evil one tempts Jesus to take the easy way out. However, the BIG guy was wise to his tactics.

Taking the easy way out is like building a houses foundation on sand.

Taking the hard way is like building a houses foundations on rock.

When tought times come and the rains and storms of your life hit, they will wash away the sand and house, but the house on the rock, will endure!

So, build your house on the rock.

This is just one of my favorites, thought I'd share.

Hubby
Closed Thread