Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 02:58 PM

Kimberley is on a distinguished road
Question FRO info

This is for anyone who is familiar with the receiving of CS from FRO. How long did it take to start receiving your payments if you know that FRO had all the required info.

According to the information I was able to get, the FRO received the deduction order and my ex's employment information. The deduction order was sent to his employer on October 3rd, and considered received 5 days later - which makes it October 8th. They then have up to 14 days to start the deductions - which would be today at the latest.

While I get that it could be another 30+ days at least, I am hoping to get a general idea of time. The update on my case status also states they have not yet received any payment, though he is already in arrears since his first payment was due September 30th.

When the order states that the support payment is due on the 30th of each month, does this mean that the FRO only pays whatever CS they have received out to you on or around that date each month, or, if the payor has agreed to pay the arrears in a lump sum, do they send that payment to the recipient straight away because they are arrears?

Just curious and would like to better understand how it all works.

Thanks!
Old 10-22-2008, 04:45 PM

paris is on a distinguished road

My spouse pays CS weekly. It was deducted from his pay cheques weekly. Whenever there was a long weekend, the money was still paid on time, but the recipient would not get the payment. They would double up the payment the following week.

We paid a couple of weeks online so there was always enough to cover the payment, but she still misses payments after a long weekend. That's about the only issue we have with the process. He is no longer working, and we still make payments online, always a few weeks ahead.

So probably, whatever money they have received by the end of this month will be sent to you. If none has been paid, you will have to wait until the end of November.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:33 PM

Mystia is on a distinguished road

If the court order was made on the 30th, then payments are do on a 30th.

If his work has recieved the support deduction order, then they will start to take payments off within 2 weeks.

It depends on when his work sends in the payments, and by the method.
as to how long it takes for you to recieve it. Mail method takes a bit longer and thats usually what they will do. I pay my boyfriends support payments through easy web and its immediate. We found that when his work paid for him, the payments were deducted weekly (payment scedual was every week) but sent in the mail once per month through the mail, and because of this, we were always falling behind as it takes 7-10 buisness days in the mail, then FRO has to Process the payment, then they send the payment to the recipent by cheque, or direct deposit.
First payment will be by cheque i do believe and sent out within 24 to 48 hours after they recieve it.

As for the money that is back owed, if he does not make a Voluntary Arrears plan (V.A.P.S), they will most likely take his GST, and Income tax, and you will recieve it all in one lump sum. This process can take ahwile. here is how it works. He files taxes, 3 - 6 weeks the government of canada looks at it and sends the payment to FRO. then you have FRO processing on top of that, that can take a bit two, not sure how long. My boyfriend filed his taxes, 3 weeks later we recieve a letter telling us the money is owed to FRO, 3 weeks later the X informs us that she has recieved a large sum of money. But all will depend on the Mail.

I hope this helps a bit. alot of what you ask depends on Employer, method of payment, and when he gets paid. i hope i have answered some of your questions.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:46 PM

dajackal is on a distinguished road
Smile

.. sry my cat hit the button and i'm tryin to erase a duplicate post but don't know how. forget this one pls
Old 10-22-2008, 09:51 PM

dajackal is on a distinguished road

The date your court order was done has nothing to do with when payment is due. It's usually at the beginning of the month but it looks like your ex will have a month to pay the set ammount as the judge set a due date of the 30th.

A nice guy would pay CS every pay, as i do. A not so nice person would pay it all on the 30th.

If he has arrears.. that ammount of arrears simply gets added to the ongoing account at FRO. And he will simply stay in arrears until he gets caught up on both whats owed and current.

In that case, you will get whatever he pays to FRO the next day.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:42 PM

Unfortunately they take forever to update anything, but it finally does say that there are arrears, but only half the amount he is actually in arrears for as it also states nothing has been paid to them - so Sept 30th & Oct 30th are both in arrears.
It did state that they sent the deduction order to his employer on Oct 3rd - but again, since nothing has been received by him directly, or his employer, it all just sits in arrears. This means that when we go back to court in just over 2 weeks, I'll still have not received an ounce in child support even though there is an order in place.
They need to change their name, because they sure as hell are not concerned about family responsibilities.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:15 PM

sufferer is on a distinguished road
Default hii

To Andrewkim,
The initial process can take upto 3-4 weeks after the FRO gets the payments from the employer.But once everything falls in place then you will have your payments on time.I had a final order made in jan 08 and Fro still had the interim orders from August07.So it took them the whole feb to sort out things but now everything is time.Now I get my payments directly deposited to my account by 4th of every month
Old 11-07-2008, 07:48 PM

Well, I called the FRO today to see if I could get some sort of update since the automated one is seriously behind. I was treated like utter trash by the agent on the phone. I asked him about why it's only showing half the amount of arrears. He stated that the rest of it will be added manually 'when they get around to it' (yes, those were his exact words). Then when I asked about the garnishment as I read all the documentation they sent as well as what the post on the website, and I was told that it wouldn't be until at least 6 weeks until the employer is required to send them a thing from the garnish of wages and that he doesn't know anything more. When I questioned why this wasn't clearly stated in any of the information I had been provided he became quite rude and started to tell me that he was going to hang up on me and if I had a complaint then file one. I asked for his name & ID, he rudely told me that he gave it at the start of the call and it's my problem for missing it. I demanded he provide it again and he angrily spat out a name with a 3 digit number. When I questioned him as to why he would not be respectful & simply answer the questions I had asked as I just wanted to know how things work & what the status is, he responded that he treats people as they treat him and hung up on me. So I sat there on hold for 20 minutes, then after providing my personal info in order to even ask questions that I did not actually get answered, I had been placed on hold by him for a further 10 minutes, just to be treated that way & hung up on. Seriously, how hard is it to be polite to someone who was being polite to begin with and provide some darn information. What is wrong with people these days.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:10 AM

littleman is on a distinguished road

FRO does have its issues......my order was signed ont he 26th of the month but legally the payor has 30days to clear amount owing..example for Nov 1st they have until Nov 30th to pay it......once FRO sees it they will transfer to your bank account which takes less than 24hours.....as for the arrears owing if you have federal garnishment then as soon as you file tax return they know that you owe child support and it will be nabbed as soon as your taxes are assessed.....the only place that takes precedence over FRO is the Federal Govt themselves (meanung CCRA)......even a court ordered garnishment has no effect........but keep in mind when federal garnishment imposed automatically reported to credit bureau and will never be removed until child/ren reach age of 18.......food for thought
Old 11-10-2008, 10:41 AM

Sk8r is on a distinguished road

I had a similar experience when speaking with an FRO agent. He was downright rude to me. He had my back up before the conversation barely started and he treated me like I was a criminal or something for asking why they were withholding funds that I believed to be mine. (and still do, but apparently explaining it to them is going to take a bit).

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get someone who will actually be HELPFUL?
Closed Thread