Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Old 11-14-2019, 01:10 PM

Nba2709 is on a distinguished road
Default Sole RESP and child support

Hi my kid is planning to live with my ex for university. I have set up an RESP after our divorce and Iím the sole contributor. Can the excess RESP be used towards child support?
Will I need to pay full child support (table amount) AND extraordinary expenses? Will my RESP contributions count as MY contribution to her university fees or will it be considered the childís contribution?
Thanks in advance for advice!
Old 11-14-2019, 01:32 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enoughrockscan will become famous soon enough

There is a pinned post on post secondary expenses on the forum. You should review that.

Short answer, if kid is living with ex then you pay cs. The expenses will be tuition, books and other school fees. You can use your RESP for your share. It will depend on your fund how the money is withdrawn. The grant has to be used for tuition.
Old 11-14-2019, 02:12 PM

Nba2709 is on a distinguished road
Default Sole RESP

Hi thanks for the reply! Iím new here so donít really know how to go to (or search) pinned posts?
Old 11-14-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nba2709 View Post
Hi thanks for the reply! Iím new here so donít really know how to go to (or search) pinned posts?

In the financial issues section it will be at the top. Or search ď1/3Ē and it should pop up.
Old 02-23-2020, 02:22 PM

denbigh is on a distinguished road

That pinned thread seems to be missing. I canít find it anywhere
Reading, it looks like there are different ways school is paid for. Is there a most often way ? Wondering if grant portion counts as childís third or parents? Does resp from marriage get used first, and then things are split into thirds, or is the resp from marriage split in thirds as well?
Old 03-02-2020, 09:32 AM

Gilligan is on a distinguished road

I agree, looking for the info now as I'm embarking on this journey myself and appreciate the advice and guidance provided
Old 03-02-2020, 09:41 AM

https://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/...ad.php?t=19698
Old 03-02-2020, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockscan View Post
Thank you! Will bookmark this
Old 03-02-2020, 09:58 AM

Something I struggle with in these cases is that calculations always seem to be based on a child living with one parent. In my case, it's 50/50 and there is significant support paid because of disability of the receiving parent.

I get the argument that something is covered by support, but when "offset" is being paid, and the recipient doesn't pay, how do you deal with that situation? Is it just a loss? For example, while my ex is the support recipient, is she expected to pay the "Application cost"? Historically, she has refused to pay and I'm left with the choice of a) having the child pay it, or b) pay it and cut my losses? This seems to be a gray area and I have a hard time understanding why that is.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
Something I struggle with in these cases is that calculations always seem to be based on a child living with one parent. In my case, it's 50/50 and there is significant support paid because of disability of the receiving parent.

I get the argument that something is covered by support, but when "offset" is being paid, and the recipient doesn't pay, how do you deal with that situation? Is it just a loss? For example, while my ex is the support recipient, is she expected to pay the "Application cost"? Historically, she has refused to pay and I'm left with the choice of a) having the child pay it, or b) pay it and cut my losses? This seems to be a gray area and I have a hard time understanding why that is.

Depending on the cost of things, its not unreasonable for the kid to pay it. I believe applications are about $100 unless they are out of school. You could pay it and then take the $30 your ex owes you and subtract that from her share of expenses.

As far as school is concerned, if you are 50/50 then her share is 1/3 the cost. If she refuses to pay it then she is making her kid suffer and they should be saying something since it impacts them and they are an adult.

Tags
resp