No announcement yet.

What is Morning chambers/special chambers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bank transfer statements 1st and 15th of each months since 2010.
    From my account right to hers.

Comment

That should be sufficient documentation (bank statements with her bank account number as recipient). Hopefully you didn't owe her any more money for anything else and hopefully she can't argue the money was payment for another debt. (reason, again, to use MEP).

Now do yourself a favor and on Monday register with MEP (Judge will likely order this anyhow) and it is protection for you in the future. It doesn't cost anything and judges favor it. In the future your ex can bitch and whine to MEP and your response will be "take me to court" nothing more.

Comment

She attached my income tax returns to her affidavit as exhibits. I didn't even need to do it. I just reference her exhibit regarding my returns provided proof of the increase I made with an exhibit of an email to her back in time notifying her I will increase support as well as the bank transfer statement from my account to hers.

Comment

I have a text message of her telling me to keep support the same when I had an increase in income. I was honest asked how she would like to proceed and she told me to pay the same as I have been. The next year my income decreased and I continued to pay for the shortage from the year before because I thought it was the right thing to do. Now she is seeking retroactive support. I made a chart of what support should have been what I have paid and what my income was. It is all averaged out due to the fluctuations in my income I simply paid more than the guidelines for a few years but shorted one year. No arrears.

Comment

Then what's her point of contention? Are you self-employed and is she arguing some expenses you have claimed? That may come down to judge's prerogative and how well your lawyer knows her trade.

Comment

Nope I am not self employed I am an oilfield work my income drastically fluctuates from one year to the next. I am basing it all on line 150 no expenses deducted if I had I have overpaid quite a bit

Comment

Originally posted by Tandem80 View Post
                I have a text message of her telling me to keep support the same when I had an increase in income. I was honest asked how she would like to proceed and she told me to pay the same as I have been. The next year my income decreased and I continued to pay for the shortage from the year before because I thought it was the right thing to do. Now she is seeking retroactive support. I made a chart of what support should have been what I have paid and what my income was. It is all averaged out due to the fluctuations in my income I simply paid more than the guidelines for a few years but shorted one year. No arrears.
                Sounds reasonable to me.

If you are 100% confident in your numbers you should consider having your lawyer prepare and serve a Formal Offer to Settle. IF judge rules more in your favor then you can request double costs. Your lawyer can explain the process to you. Has your lawyer made an offer to settle at all? This is pretty important strategy. It doesn't mean that you think you have a weak case and want to settle the matter - on the contrary it is strategic in recouping as much of your out-of-pocket expenses (lawyer) as possible. If you don't go through this process you can end up with a favorable judgement but no costs award.

Comment

Nope I am not self employed I am an oilfield work my income drastically fluctuates from one year to the next. I am basing it all on line 150 no expenses deducted if I had I have overpaid quite a bit
                  You should seriously consider incorporating your expenses. For example, travel to and from your place of employment can be costly, particularly if you are not reimbursed by your employer. Meals can be a consideration as well. The expenses that family court might discount from your claim are telephones, car payments, maintenance and gas, inflated home-office expenses, inflated salaries paid to a partner to do your books, etc.

What sort of expenses are you not including?

Comment

I have meals and lodging expenses that apparently can come off of line 150. Simeon told me unless I was self employed they probably will not accept the deduction? All my deductions are on like 229 of my tax return. Ranging from $2000-$4000. All depends on how often I am away over night. Accountant uses the simplified method where I can claim x amount a day if over 10 hours 12 hours or 24 hours...meaning being away from my municipality.

Comment

No offer to settle yet. We want them to read my response and possibly ask for an adjournment for special chambers and in between offer a settlement proposal. I have offered one on my own through email but she won't make any deals without her lawyer present. Shake my head. I have explained support to and how it fluctuates I paid $200 more than I should have last year to make up for the year prior. She just doesn't understand at.all!!!

Comment

I just skimmed over some of your older posts. So you have to travel 200km 1-way to exercise access to see your kids? She was the one who moved correct? I'd do the math (kilometers and whatever gas is in your part of the country) and calculate the amount it costs for you to exercise access (if it significant in the grand scheme of things). I believe judges will look at that and often times will actually decrease CS by that amount. Have you discussed this with your lawyer? There is plenty of case law on this.

So this whole thing came about when she wanted you to pay for higher-level hockey (which she unilaterally put your son into)? A person who doesn't work????

I visualize a judge looking at this and assessing a hard-working man who pays his bills on time and who is trying to maintain a relationship with his children.... an unemployed woman who is trying to maximize her position (paid for by Alberta taxpayers). Nauseating for sure.

Comment

I have meals and lodging expenses that apparently can come off of line 150. Simeon told me unless I was self employed they probably will not accept the deduction? All my deductions are on like 229 of my tax return. Ranging from $2000-$4000. All depends on how often I am away over night. Accountant uses the simplified method where I can claim x amount a day if over 10 hours 12 hours or 24 hours...meaning being away from my municipality.
                          Simplified method used by your accountant will probably be accepted by the court. You indicated in an earlier post that you had the Employers declaration form signed correct? While CRA rules sometimes don't jive with family court judges, reasonable meal expenses are generally accepted (you can't prepare your meals in the back of your pick-up truck).

If you have a simplified calculation of the increase of costs for you to carry out regular access to your children that would likely (in a worst-case scenario) balance out the meal expense. In the end, this is not super difficult mathematics and you should hopefully get a decision. Sometimes the other side will purposely leave something out and request an adjournment to a later date. This is a common stalling tactic.

Comment

Mmmm well doesn't hurt to make another chart with meal expenses deducted I'll see what my lawyer says. The forms were provided to me by my employer to claim at income tax time.

Comment

Ex and I owned a trucking company and I'm from Alberta so I am very much aware of oilfield. You don't work/stay in camp at all do you?

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
                                So this whole thing came about when she wanted you to pay for higher-level hockey (which she unilaterally put your son into)? A person who doesn't work????

I visualize a judge looking at this and assessing a hard-working man who pays his bills on time and who is trying to maintain a relationship with his children.... an unemployed woman who is trying to maximize her position (paid for by Alberta taxpayers). Nauseating for sure.
                                Not to mention her husband doesn't work either they are living off $18,000 in 2015 the year they registered my son into hockey and her husband was the one that filled out the form and signed off as my sons father.

All the receipts are in his name as well. Also have a text from her stating she wasn't going after me financially to pay for it.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X