This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spousal Support question

Will I pay higher amount of spousal support if my x-wife quit the job?

sco44,

perhaps you may. It is hard to comment without knowing more facts such as the reason why she may quit. ie: due to disability, or deliberately.

lv

Comment

She is moving to other city but I do not think she have a job there.

Comment

Hi sco44,

Say your ex is unemployed simply because she hasn't looked for a new job in the city she is has moved to. In a case like this, you likely would not have to pay more spousal support. This is because your ex would be expected, based on her skills and education, to maintain employment (depending on the circumstances surrounding your case). Generally, support recipient cannot simply quit the job they have had for so many years and expect more pousal support to make up for their loss of income. Support receipients who are intentionally underemployed/unemployed for no good reason usually have an income imputed to them by the court.

However, like LV says, if she is unemployed for some special reason, such as disability, this changes things. So, please note that my comments are very general and may not apply to your particular situation.

Lindsay

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X