This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spousal Support

Hi - I am not separated but am considering it. I would like more information before I can make my a decision. I am the only one working, my spouse was diagnosed with MS 3 yrs ago, shortly after he was laid off from his job. To speak with him, or observe him, you wouldn't know about the MS. Am I considering leaving because of the MS - no! I'm just not happy due to other factors. My question - if I pursue the separation/divorce how much spousal support would I have to pay?

Hi mrix and welcome to the forums!

You can find some general information about spousal support here:
    http://www.ottawadivorce.com/spousalsupport.htm

You can find some information about amounts of spousal support here:
    http://www.ottawadivorce.com/how-much-spousal.htm
    Ottawa Divorce

Comment

Clarification

Jeff,

On the site it says:

3. Two children living with spousal support recipient. In these cases, the spousal support recipient generally receives 55 percent of the net disposable income.

Where net disposable income is income after deductions for income tax, EI, and CPP.

Is this to say for example that someone with a yearly gross income of $78000 would pay apprx $1100 in CHILD SUPPORT for 2 children PLUS 55% of the net disposable income? Or is the 55% INCLUDING the child support?

If the payor only keeps 45% and then has to pay child support out of that 45% it seems like an awful lot!

Comment

The figure is 55% of the family's net disposable income. So, it's whatever income the spousal support recipient has + child support + whatever spousal support is necessary to bring the figure up to a 55% share of the family income.
        Ottawa Divorce

Comment

clarification

Thanks Jeff. That makes more sense.

Comment

Spousal Support

I was reading with interest the discussion on spousal support because my husband was hoping to end payments to his ex wife. His first marriage lasted less than 10 years and ended more than 10 years ago. At the time he agreed to pay spousal support for one year. At the end of that time he was "forced" to continue paying for another 10 years. He was told to pay 1 year for every year of marriage. Payments were to end next fall. (He has one child in university and another that is finished school.) Recently we had new wills drawn up & the lawyer (who is not experienced in family law) said that if my husband dies first, I will have to continue making support payments. Is there any chance of ending spousal support payments and is it true that I will have to continue payments if my husband should die first?

Comment

No, you won’t be required to pay spousal support for him; but his estate *may* still owe spousal support.

Normally, there’s a provision about life insurance in any agreement or court order about spousal support - see:
              http://www.ottawadivorce.com/li.htm

The clause would basically say that the life insurance is in full and final satisfaction of any spousal support obligations.
              Ottawa Divorce

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff
                The figure is 55% of the family's net disposable income. So, it's whatever income the spousal support recipient has + child support + whatever spousal support is necessary to bring the figure up to a 55% share of the family income.
                Where can I find mention of this 55% vs 45%? Is this somewhere on the government's website? Is this the norm amount for the custodial parent who is earning the smaller wage?

Comment

Originally posted by beltane
                  Where can I find mention of this 55% vs 45%? Is this somewhere on the government's website? Is this the norm amount for the custodial parent who is earning the smaller wage?
                  These are just statistical averages based on examining many cases in Ontario. The article is here
                  http://www.ottawadivorce.com/how-much-spousal.htm

There's no law stating that this is how it's done - behind every average is a whole range of factual situations and judge's opinions as to the philosophy of spousal support.
                  Ottawa Divorce

Comment

Future considerations

Well, you'll always be the bad guy on this one. No matter what the real reason, some of your friends and family will believe its because of the MS. Better chalk up those costs as part of the thought process.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                    Working...
                    X