No announcement yet.

Advice needed for friend - Govt Child Tax Credit - adoptee parent First Nations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed for friend - Govt Child Tax Credit - adoptee parent First Nations

Woman I met (lives in Ontario) adopted 2 children. The youngest she adopted in 2013. Biological father was killed in traffic accident. Mother is not around (drug addict who stated in documentation that daughter deceased... how strange). Both children have Native background. The young daughter was born on a reserve in Manitoba but father was registered to a reserve in Brantford Ontario?

She has never received any government tax credit (baby bonus) for either child.

She does not have money to hire a lawyer (I don't believe she should have to hire one anyhow).

How would you recommend she proceed? Obviously there was some sort of disconnect between the Native bands.

The second child she is POA for and he is now 19 and mentally disabled. She receives some form of government assistance for this child. She indicated she never received child tax credit for this one either.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Caucasian people adopted the two Native children (thought I'd clarify).

Would she go through Indian Affairs to set things in motion?

I know absolutely nothing about Child Tax Credit.

She recently had open heart surgery and is unable to work and so could really use any financial assistance available. One would think that foster parents are able to obtain child tax credits?

Comment

From what I know foster parents do not receive the tax credit but a “payment” from the government for being foster parents. If she has legally adopted the children then she would be eligible for the regular benefits parents receive for their children. That being said, it appears the children are now over 19 so any credits she has probably lost. She *may* be able to get a couple years back but highly unlikely she will get the many, many years she missed out on.

I’m confused as to whether she is in Ontario or Manitoba but either way of she had legally adopted the disabled child she should be able to receive the disability for this child but she truly is better off calling Service Canada/CRA to seek these answers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks Berner - daughter is 10 y.o. Son is 19 but severely disabled. I asked the mother and she has received no money for either child. Yes she legally adopted both children. Mother has always worked and made things work financially. Only since she has suffered heart surgery and unable to work has she decided to see what assistance she can get. She has the POA for the son.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X