Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After divorce, can Jack, 53, get in touch with his retirement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After divorce, can Jack, 53, get in touch with his retirement?

Globe and Mail Article

What would likely happen to Jack's SS (20 year marriage) when he retires at 65?

Depends upon how his ex is fairing I would imagine. He would be smart to do as advised and examine his separation agreement. Best thing is to do a step-down SS agreement which essentially encourages/prepares ex for self-sufficiency.
    There was no information provided as to if ex received lump sum as well as ongoing SS.

Jack's so-called retirement sounds as though he will actually continue working in a "consultant" capacity. Pointless to speculate really. Jack could retire at 60 or 70... wife could have serious health concerns...

Comment

Originally posted by nogoingback View Post
      Globe and Mail Article

What would likely happen to Jack's SS (20 year marriage) when he retires at 65?

It will be reduced to reflect his then income.

Jack is expecting to take in 70,000 per year while in retirement. There's quite a few families with two working adults that support two or three kids on 70,000/a, I doubt he'll struggle taking care of himself.

Comment

He may do what that disgraced senator has done and become a bar manager!

The disgraced military guy is now a "consultant" for a private company in the UAE and you can bet he's making more than 70k.

I agree with MSMom - will all depend on his income. Retirement doesn't eliminate SS it just might reduce it. Many factors will likely be examined at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by MS Mom View Post
          It will be reduced to reflect his then income.

Jack is expecting to take in 70,000 per year while in retirement. There's quite a few families with two working adults that support two or three kids on 70,000/a, I doubt he'll struggle taking care of himself.
          While the numbers are a bit abstract for most of us, I have found that many people live pay check to pay check, and that includes many rich people. To go from 150K a year to 70K may require some serious downsizing, including changing residences etc.

And location makes a big difference. Own a big house in Toronto, and you probably need more than 70K, own a big house outside of commuting distance from Toronto, and 70K can make a comfortable retirement.

Comment

Originally posted by DowntroddenDad View Post
            While the numbers are a bit abstract for most of us, I have found that many people live pay check to pay check, and that includes many rich people. To go from 150K a year to 70K may require some serious downsizing, including changing residences etc.

And location makes a big difference. Own a big house in Toronto, and you probably need more than 70K, own a big house outside of commuting distance from Toronto, and 70K can make a comfortable retirement.
            So, Jack wants his retirement to be at the same level as his working life even though his income is a third of what it was? Jack needs to downsize his life to reflect the downsized income. Pretty typical for everyone I think.

If people making that kind of money are living paycheque to paycheque then they're living beyond their means, which has nothing to do with spousal support and everything to do with budgets.

Comment

My ex has allegedly, and miraculously, retired with no income whatsoever!

He golfs in Scottsdale to boot! I must be doing something wrong.

Comment

My ex puts away RRSP savings and makes accelerated mortgage payments ... on 16K a year. Now THAT is amazing.

P.S. I forgot to mention the housekeeper.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X