Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dad has paid for everything for 10 years...now she wants to take him to the cleaners

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good advice. I'll make sure he gets on that right away.

Comment

So the plot thickens. When dad and his ex bought their condo (remember "tenants in common" with his 5/8 and her 3/8) my dad had to co-sign for her mortgage so her name is also on his secured lines of credit (there are 3).

Yesterday he found out she froze one of the lines of credit (the one he uses), and has been secretly writing herself cheques for the last few months on the other 2 lines of credit to the tune of about $15,000. She has been hijacking the mail so my dad hasn't seen the statements. She has been making minimum payments but last night announced she will not be making any more payments.

Today my dad froze the remaining 2 lines of credit. Her refusal to pay the minimum interest is affecting my dad's credit. What should he do? I suspect she's hoping he'll be stuck with 1/2 of her line of credit debt.

She's definitely sinister and underhanded, and I don't doubt there will other tricks up her sleeve.

Comment

spousal support is to help the other spouse get back up on her feet. It is limited in the amount of time and subject to the financial disclosure. It is not automatic and it depends on the judge. I have done the same thing to reduce the amount of support, I have loaded my credit card and line of credit to the max. Of course the cash was hidden away. The judge reduced the spousal support by half and limited the time to 2 years. But I did that only because she had filed false criminal accusation which was later dropped and she was not even charged for making a false police report. I know it is not a nice things to do but for what she had done I do not feel sad one bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Innocent Bystander View Post
          Yesterday he found out she froze one of the lines of credit (the one he uses), and has been secretly writing herself cheques for the last few months on the other 2 lines of credit to the tune of about $15,000. She has been hijacking the mail so my dad hasn't seen the statements.
          I don't even think that's legal - isn't that like cheque kiting? It's also illegal for her to be intercepting his mail. He could have her charged for that.

Comment

Check kiting is a shell game, see Check Kiting: Definition from Answers.com.

What you're talking about depends on whether the LOC's are joint or not.

Comment

Ok....well I did say 'like' kiting, i don't know what the term is but it sounds wrong.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X