No announcement yet.

2015 Annual Denial of Christmas/Holiday Access Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lol Rioe... I have never watched any of the starwars movies and really have no desire too.

We picked up the kids Friday and have them until boxing day... then they go to their mom's until they start school again. Boxing day is going to be hard for me... we miss our next scheduled weekend with them, which is January 1st because of how their holiday schedule works, which means we won't have them until January 15th... unfortunately that weekend I am out of town for work... it is going to be 5 weeks until I see them again

At least they will get a weekend full of Dad time

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Comment

Rio, what? “It’s not fair.” Kids are having time with dad and enjoying it that's what counts. Star wars is more of a guy thing so what he going twice. He wanted to share this with the kids. Most women are not big Star wars fans, most did not have the toys, most dad’s will want to share this part of their childhood with their own kids as that generation were the beginning of the of Star wars era.

Not fair is...kids not seeing parents 50/50 because other parent fights this.

Not fair is...kids being alienated to the point of hating a parent.

Not far is...kids being moved fare away from their other parent.

Comment

Originally posted by good_mom View Post
        [COLOR=#767676][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black]Rio, what? “It’s not fair.” Kids are having time with dad and enjoying it that's what counts. Star wars is more of a guy thing so what he going twice. He wanted to share this with the kids. Most women are not big Star wars fans, most did not have the toys, most dad’s will want to share this part of their childhood with their own kids as that generation were the beginning of the of Star wars era.

How incredibly sexist. No, I don't necessarily think it's unfair that one parents takes them and it's not her, however for reasons that have nothing to do with gender. Not to mention he'd have known she was a fan and likely to want to take them.

Comment

(I'm female and I LOVE Star Wars. My girlfriends do as well. I also like Jackie Chan movies and most Sylvester Stalone movies and look forward to seeing the new one. In fact I enjoy most "action" type movies. Of course Daniel Craig is pretty dreamy and I have asked Santa for a poster).

I don't know why parents can't simply share the Christmas holidays 50/50 with each other.

Comment

I did not say that OP was not a fan.

In regards to my remark. Do read. Mot sure if I'm posting the link correctly but I'm sure I will be advised if I did not.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/oct/26/star-wars-the-force-awakens-jj-abrams-average-fan

Comment

I guess we can agree that this is normally mom's denying fathers access...

It just shows that power corrupts....

The same physical power a man can have over a woman can lead to domestic abuse, only because power corrupts.

Comment

I'm not sure how much weight I would put in a market poll, particularly as this movie is expected to rake in 6 billion. Simple math - does this mean that majority are males age 34 attending the movie? It states the average purchaseris 34 yr old male. Wonder if "purchaser" would be different than "attendee"?. There sure are a lot more men out there than I thought. Therefore Rioe should have no problem finding multiple dates to take her to the movie.

Comment

...don't go there anyone can ask, male or female. I did not mean to offend, it was not to say that one cannot attend if they are a female or that it is not of interest to the female gender.

Barbie, Shoppkins My little Pony seem to be more appealing to girls but does not mean that boys cannot play or like those toys as Starwars, Nerf, dinosaurs, Tonka seem to be appealing to boys.

Funny thing is that some schools made going to see Starwars an activity. this is what happen for our kids...

In normal intact families, activities can bring on conflicts with other events, and results in missing an event here and there. why is it the end of the world in a divorce family?

Comment

this will be my first Christmas eve and morning without the kids...they will survive it just fine so I really need to suck it up myself and look at the positives (could be worse - as in a lot of your cases).

Happy holidays everyone!

Comment

What ODF (and other sources) has cranked in to my skull is that physical dates need to be forgotten. B-days, X-mas, etc have no date. You can recreate the magic, take pictures, etc .. and the kids will have this stored in their long term memory.

I get D4 on the 28th. I'm positive about it. Like Rioe I'm keeping myself occupied by x-mas shopping ... and as a bonus will even capitalize on "Boxing Day Sales".

Dates dont matter ... it's the memories created during that time.

Comment

Originally posted by LovingFather32 View Post
                        What ODF (and other sources) has cranked in to my skull is that physical dates need to be forgotten. B-days, X-mas, etc have no date. You can recreate the magic, take pictures, etc .. and the kids will have this stored in their long term memory.

I get D4 on the 28th. I'm positive about it. Like Rioe I'm keeping myself occupied by x-mas shopping ... and as a bonus will even capitalize on "Boxing Day Sales".

Dates dont matter ... it's the memories created during that time.
                        Although true for younger kids, older kids don't necessarily feel the same way -especially if they already knew they were supposed to be spending xmas with one parent or split between both and one of the parents withholds the kids from the other. A lot of planning and prep goes into Christmas with family coming from out of town to see the kids only to have the other parent refuse to hand them over or even abscond with them out of town or province. The kids miss out on getting to share Christmas with one parent and their extended family and they DO feel it when they were expecting to see everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post
                          Although true for younger kids, older kids don't necessarily feel the same way -especially if they already knew they were supposed to be spending xmas with one parent or split between both and one of the parents withholds the kids from the other. A lot of planning and prep goes into Christmas with family coming from out of town to see the kids only to have the other parent refuse to hand them over or even abscond with them out of town or province. The kids miss out on getting to share Christmas with one parent and their extended family and they DO feel it when they were expecting to see everyone.
                          Very true. This is actually whats happening with D4...not getting to see any extended family....and thought she was. This doesnt bother my ex though .. as long as she gets what she wants (even if not in D4's best interests)..she's content.
                          I would say X-mas is definitely the toughest time of year for this stuff. Thanks for the thread Blink. Hopefully it can help some of us get through it.

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
                            I don't know why parents can't simply share the Christmas holidays 50/50 with each other.
                            Well, speaking for myself, when I signed on for parenthood, my intention was to be there 100% for my children. There was absolutely no anticipation of being expected to approve of them spending half of Christmastime with the person who wrecked their parents' marriage instead of with me. It's hard to deal with sometimes. And what if the other parent isn't a very good one? Who wants to send their children to another household where they will be yelled at or ignored? If one parent simply isn't good at it, why make the children suffer? So that's maybe some insight into why some parents dislike sharing holidays 50-50 with the other parent.
                            Originally posted by arabian View Post
                            I'm not sure how much weight I would put in a market poll, particularly as this movie is expected to rake in 6 billion. Simple math - does this mean that majority are males age 34 attending the movie? It states the average purchaseris 34 yr old male. Wonder if "purchaser" would be different than "attendee"?. There sure are a lot more men out there than I thought. Therefore Rioe should have no problem finding multiple dates to take her to the movie.
                            Haha, you'd think that on paper but in reality, it is not the case. I just hope my kids don't reveal too many spoilers!

Comment

^ I can understand your feelings. Perhaps it's not too late to ring up the ex and tell him that your child has raging lice or something else hugely contagious? Perhaps the child is now a "born again" religious fanatic who needs to be at church at the crack of dawn Christmas morning?

Comment

I understand also, but you can feel good knowing that you gave your kids an extra gift this year of seeing their mother do the right thing by sharing the time, even if it's a hard thing. That's a wonderful life lesson.

Wishing you peace and joy.

P.S. Arabian, the raging lice comment cracked me up!
                                Last edited by PeacefulMoments; 12-23-2015, 05:29 PM. Reason: Added a comment

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X