Vacation time in family law

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thh1 View Post
    Thank you for everybody ‘s input. I am happy if my ex bring kids to vacation, anywhere as long as not staying home playing video games. After two year, the order allow each parent could bring kids two week vacation, I guess my ex will let kids in home two week straight then.
    You're going to get a lot of people on here telling you that it really doesn't matter what makes YOU happy- it's not about you. It's about the kids and their other parent. They're going to be right.

I get what you're saying- that you don't feel it's a good use of their time to be pulled out of school to stay home. But this is the price we pay when we get divorced. There are huge chunks of your kids time when you're not going to be able to parent them. You'll completely disagree with the approaches the other parent takes, but if you wanted to have that influence- you should've stayed married. You're probably going to want to let this go.

Comment

Originally posted by Janus View Post
      You would be surprised at the number of parents that see vacations as being more important than school. My kids regularly tell me about classmates that have been gone for a month for a vacation halfway around the world. I'm not talking kindergarten or grade 1 here either...

Meanwhile, I feel guilty about pulling my kids out for an afternoon . My kids also hate it, they usually ask me to schedule things outside of school time.
      I pull my daughter out of pre-school 1/2 days every Wednesday for her dad's time. She actually hates it- and misses her group music lesson (and her nap. so fml). But I figure the time with her dad is more important since she's only still in pre-school.

I get people want to give their kids a 'cultural' experience. But I think fitting in what they need to learn during the school year is tough enough- so I wouldn't be pulling my kid out. We should really move to year round school. To each their own.
      Last edited by iona6656; 10-08-2019, 10:59 AM.

Comment

I don’t understand too, both kids are in elementary school. My ex has been done a lot of wired thing which I don’t understand, and this is not surprising to me. I just like to know if I could do anything( maybe a motion) to clear the vacation time definition.

Comment

I don’t understand too, both kids are in elementary school. My ex has been done a lot of wired thing which I don’t understand, and this is not surprising to me. I just like to know if I could do anything( maybe a motion) to clear the vacation time definition.

What exactly would the wording be if you took this to court? I understand your definition of vacation may mean out of town but some people prefer staycations. I’m curious to know how you’d rephrase your agreement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

you are really grasping here. No judge will ever order that a parent has to leave their home for a trip.

The only thing I would be more concerned about changing is the time I has to be taken in the summer while the kids are out of school.

Just to show you that your logic is flawed. When the kids are off school after the school end in june we always called that "summer vacation" If I take time off work in the summer that is my vacation time. To me vacation means time away from what you normally do like school or work.

Comment

You can’t file a motion to get your ex to take them to school.

You can use your agreement though depending on the wording. Which begs the question...what does your agreement say about vacation time? Most say something along the lines of two weeks non consecutive during the summer, a split of March Break and christmas and then every other year for other holidays. Some go even farther to say something to the extent of “and any other dates agreed upon by the parties taking into consideration school” etc.

Therefore...if your ex asks for a week of vacation during the school year, you could ask for proof of the vacation he has booked and then only agree to the dates upon receiving proof of the trip. That avoids him taking them out of school as it is summer vacation.

If you don’t have that in your agreement, you could try to negotiate making the change since the kids are now in school and their holiday time is different than when they were non school kids.

Otherwise you are SOL.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X