This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LAO Settlement Conference vs. Case Conference

I have the option of either attending a LAO Settlement Conference with a LAO mediator or setting up a Case Conference before a judge. Any thoughts as to what is the best route to resolution. Ex is represented by LAO and at the moment I am not represented as I spent over $20k obtaining the divorce judgement itself. We were married Aug. of 98, seperated Dec/02 and divorce was granted March of this year. From what I understand I need to have representation to attend the LAO settlement conference and note the case conference. I am willing to hire a lawyer for a couple of hours of representation if there is a good chance we could come to resoluton. Ex is seeking spousal - no children involved and there is a small amount of money sitting in a trust account with my real estate lawyer after the sale of the matrimonial home. Thanks.........

Is LAO 100% funded or would my ex have to pay for a portion of the legail aid lawyers time?

LAO is based on income.......if you make too much you dont qualify......last time I looked at amount it was something very low like 15k or something.....dependants were not taken into account either.....you have to be destitute to qualify.........as for mediation vs conference......personally I would opt for conference....if nothing resolves in mediation then you CANT mention whatever it is in conference.......be careful it may bite you in the ass going to mediation......works for some but not for others.....as for spousal if she qualifies for LAO then just on the surface I think you may have to pay it.....keeping in mind I am unaware of other things (financials, accounts joint or seperate), retirement, did she quit her job,etc)...thats my surface impression of your unfortunate situation

Comment

Thanks Littleman, she does qualify for LAO - at present she has no reported income. She quit her job voluntarily several years ago and has been living off a ($150k) inheritance which I believe is almost done. Now it appears she wants to live off me for as long as she can. To the best of my knowledge she has made no attempt to return to the work force. Separated after less than 5 years of marriage which is now almost 5 years ago. We have similar educational backgrounds etc. and were making approx. the same $ when she decided she didn't want to work any more. I think I might hire a lawyer for a couple of hours to attend the settlement conference and take it from there.

Comment

Dissolution of Marriage

Hello,

Just something to think about... if she voluntarily quit her job after the marriage ended, she may claim that one was caused by the other (ie. her mental anguish at having her marriage end caused her to not be able to work anymore). If I were you, I'd try to find "proof" (affadavit from ex-employer or ex-work colleagues, etc.) that her mental state is fine and it's the prospect of living a life of relative ease that has made her not WANT to work anymore.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X