X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changes to provincial law in Ontario Bill 133

A good friend sent this info the other day:

Bill 133 2009

An Act to amend various Acts in relation to certain family law matters and to repeal the Domestic Violence Protection Act, 2000

Legislative Assembly of Ontario | Bills & Lawmaking | Current Parliament | Bill 133, Family Statute Law Amendment Act, 2009

-and-

http://www.ontla.on.ca/bills/bills-f...on1/b133ra.pdf

lv

Thank you so much for the info.

It would seem that the amendment would allow me if I so choose to amend my child's last name to my own since I added it the given names at birth requiring me to only drop his current surname if I so chose. Only if I felt that it would be in my child's best interest of course.

Many already say it is a mouthful. But it was important to me since my father passed on well before my son was born.

Comment

bill 133

There are many issues that the bill attempts to address and to hopefully streamline making this whole process better for everyone. I saw this immediately when it was posted.

This actually started months ago. The justice Dept told the courts that the days of delays and such in the divorce courts has come to an end. I happened to be present at the meeting with the courts and the lawyers at my local court when they were told this, It was quite refreshing to hear & see a foot being put down on this process. But with this bill much of what they want to accomplish it a standardized system/forms to go through, thus eliminating the delays.
      One of the statements thatwas made is that they want to reduce the needless costs that are incurred in divorces (ie the 1000's ofdollars wasted in excess legal fees for example) Too much money is being taken away from the divorcing couples that is better held by them to help rebuild thier lives.
      For once I have to say thanks to the system.

Comment

Question about the bill

Recalculation of child support
        39.1 (1) The amount payable for the support of a child under an order may be recalculated in accordance with this Act and the regulations made under this Act, by the child support service established by the regulations, in order to reflect updated income information.
        Effect of recalculation
        (2) Subject to any review or appeal process established by the regulations made under this Act, if the child support service recalculates an amount payable for the support of a child under an order, the recalculated amount is, 31 days after the date on which the parties to the order are notified of the recalculation in accordance with the regulations, deemed to be the amount payable under the order.

I would like to know who is the "by the child support service established by the regulations" FRO?

Comment

Does this mean it is still not in effect?

"Bill 133 received Royal Assent on May 14, 2009. The amendments to the PBA contained in Bill 133 will come into force on a day to be named by proclamation of the Lieutenant Governor."

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X