This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• raison d'etre

Last week-end I asked the boy (as I tucked him into bed) if he wanted me to make the bed around him.

he answered hesitantly that he would like it. He's seven years old now, so I suppose he is starting to feel that he needs to leave 'childish things' behind him.
    This week-end, tonight, I didn't bother asking. I simply made a big production of fluffing the blankets above him in grandiose fashion as I tucked him into bed. I even added an extra blanket, lol.

I watched him squirm in delight as I did so, and it made me happy.
    Sometimes, I'm such a girl.

My 9 yr old son still asks me to tuck him in almost every night.

Kids get enough pressure from peers (maybe others?) about not being a "baby", etc.

Bed time is kind of a special transition time - often a little extra reassurance required with rituals.

By the time my son is a teenager, I'm pretty sure that the tucking in routine will be a fond memory only. (Insert little tear icon here ; )

Comment

Actually, my son is a teenager now (14) and sometimes he still asks :/

He would ask regularly up until about the age of 12

That's cute.

Comment

Sorry wrong email link to Forum post.
        Last edited by sjandme; 03-23-2013, 02:43 PM. Reason: Wrong thread - mixed up by jumping in from an email.

Comment

Originally posted by wretchedotis View Post
          Sometimes, I'm such a girl.
          Pretty sure there's no shame in men taking pleasure in making affectionate gestures to those they love.

I still regularly tuck my kids into bed. I cherish the few moments I spend alone with each of them, chatting, hugs and kisses, cosying them up in their blankets and making sure their stuffed animals are where they like to be.

As they get older, I'm sure parts of the routine will change, but finding calm moments at the end of the day to share how much I love them is always going to be important.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X