COVID19 Ruling from Justice Pazaratz - Changing Access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• COVID19 Ruling from Justice Pazaratz - Changing Access

Justice Pazaratz from the Hamilton Family Court made a ruling (attached)

Some quotes are:

[10]None of us know how long this crisis is going to last. In many respects we are going
    to have to put our lives “on hold” until COVID -19 is resolved. But children’s lives –
    and vitally important family relationships – cannot be placed “on hold” indef initely
    without risking serious emotional harm and upset. A blanket policy that children
    should never leave their primary residence – even to visit their other parent – is
    inconsistent with a comprehensive analysis of the best interests of the child. In
    troubling and disorienting times, children need the love, guidance and emotional
    support of both parents, now more than ever.

[11] In most situations there should be a presumption that existing parenting
    arrangements and schedules should continue, subject to whatever modif ications maybe necessary to ensure that all COVID-19 precautions are adhered to – including
    strict social distancing.

[12] In some cases, custodial or access parents may have to forego their times with a
    child, if the parent is subject to some specif ic personal restriction (for example, under
    self -isolation for a 14 day period as a result of recent travel; personal illness; or
    exposure to illness).

[13] In some cases, a parent’s personal risk f actors (through employment or associations,
    for example) may require controls with respect to their direct contact with a child.

[14] And sadly, in some cases a parent’s lifestyle or behaviour in the f ace of COVID -19 (for example, failing to comply with social distancing; or failing to take reasonable health-precautions) may raise sufficient concerns about parental judgment that direct parent-child contact will have to be reconsidered. There will be zero tolerance for any parent who recklessly exposes a child (or members of the child’s household) to any COVID-19 risk.

[21] We will deal with COVID-19 parenting issues on a case-by-case basis:

a. The parent initiating an urgent motion on this topic will be required to provide
    specif ic evidence or examples of behavior or plans by the other parent which are
    inconsistent with COVID-19 protocols.

b. The parent responding to such an urgent motion will be required to provide
    specif ic and absolute reassurance that COVID-19 safety measures will be
    meticulously adhered to – including social distancing; use of disinfectants;
    compliance with public safety directives; etc

c. Both parents will be required to provide very specific and realistic time-sharing
    proposals which fully address all COVID-19 considerations, in a child-focused
    manner.

d. Judges will likely take judicial notice of the fact that social distancing is now
    becoming both commonplace and accepted, given the number of public facilities
    which have now been closed. This is a very good time for both custodial and
    access parents to spend time with their child at home.

Case attached. Didn't know about file upload limits.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Kinso View Post
      Case attached. Didn't know about file upload limits.
      Thank you for this!

Comment

Thanks Kinso for posting this, mom of S6 is trying to disrupt every scheduled exchange and my parenting time with kid with B.S. (unsuccessfully so far when I call her out for it using very polite but firm language in my email responses). This clarity will help a lot of us dealing with high conflict exes trying to leverage the situation to unreasonably disrupt the existing order and the flexibility needed right now to adjust to the "new normal" until the kids go back to school. YD23

Comment

I am a bit confused about this. My case is he just cut me off; he is not following our parenting time schedule. I haven't seen my kids in 12 days. I can call and face time is being set up. Yes, all cases are different but is this of any help to me in bringing an emergency motion to have them returned? I am not quite sure what he is saying

Comment

Your ex can't just withhold the kids from you because he THINKS they are at risk with you to get covid19. File a motion and he will have to provide specific evidence to support his "fears". I'm not clear on how fast this would be heard given the courts closure.

Comment

Cranberry - absent a court order that restrict your access, a total cut of is almost always an 'urgent' situation. Seek legal advice, bring an emergency motion.

Comment

Originally posted by cranberry View Post
                I am a bit confused about this. My case is he just cut me off; he is not following our parenting time schedule. I haven't seen my kids in 12 days. I can call and face time is being set up. Yes, all cases are different but is this of any help to me in bringing an emergency motion to have them returned? I am not quite sure what he is saying
                Why not send your ex a copy of this order with written notice that you will bring a motion and cite this ruling. If he has a lawyer copy them.
                Use the wording in that ruling and state that you are in compliance with all public health advisories, are complying with social distancing and that he must product evidence to the contrary.
                Ask for written confirmation that the parenting plan will be respected unless varied on consent (temporarily or permanently) or by court order.
                Then follow though and file the emergency motion if needed.
                Good luck!

Kinso - thank you again for posting this. I have shared it with a friend and a family member, One was being a jerk and the other was on the receiving end. They both resolved quickly after seeing this ruling with their lawyers agreeing no contest in light of this order. Kids are where they should be today.
                Last edited by Abba435; 03-25-2020, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Toronto Sun mentioned this ruling too. Nice exposure. Good endorsement.

https://torontosun.com/news/local-ne...box=1585174471
                  Last edited by dad2bandm; 03-26-2020, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Glad a judge made this ruling quickly as I’m sure many people were taking advantage of the current situation or simply letting irrational fear rule their actions.

Comment

Originally posted by Stillbreathing View Post
                      Glad a judge made this ruling quickly as I’m sure many people were taking advantage of the current situation or simply letting irrational fear rule their actions.
                      You would not believe the amount of family members [mostly nosy aunts and uncles- not immediate family. thank goodness]- messaging me saying I shouldn't send my daughter....silly. Her dad and I have discussed ground rules via OFW. There is no perfect situation.

Comment

Jeff please sticky this one. I created a clean thread with the info.

https://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/...ad.php?t=23077

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
                          Jeff please sticky this one. I created a clean thread with the info.

https://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/...ad.php?t=23077
                          Sorry I posted in your sticky/clean thread before realizing there was this thread.

Anyways, as I mentioned in my original post, in my situation, there is no court order for parenting time right now, but I had been seeing my child EOW. A motion for access was scheduled in first week of April, which has now been adjourned to August timeframe.

Since last week, the mother unilaterally decided all access should be terminated due to covid-19 situation, although she is offering phone access, which technically means she is not denying access. I assured her I'm following all the health guidelines and even working form home. I pointed out risk is virtually the same in both households, even transportation is thru private vehicle... she wouldn't budge.

I liked the suggestion mentioned above of sharing this case law with the opposing counsel and threatening emergency motion to reinstate my access. Let's see if this will pressure the ex into dropping this unreasonable stance.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Comment

As suspected, my husband's ex is using this situation to her advantage to completely cut off all access.

We've followed the advice suggested on here....but she still says no.

Kid is 15 though so do we bother with an emergency motion?

Comment

I would think yes since the child is still a minor.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X