This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I adjourn Conference for medical reasons

I very recently had a medical emergency and due to the injuries, I am unable to prepare my trial management brief properly(I am self-represented). It is required to be served this week to the other side. I have an appointment with a lawyer tomorrow but am not functioning at a level that I can prepare this brief in the short time frame.

I am visiting my family doctor today to be assessed again. Do I require a medical note from the doctor if I request an adjournment?

What is the protocol if my ex is now self represented and will only consent to snail mail service(i.e. 5 days from mailing to effect service?) or personal service?

I would think we could adjourn this for a week or so on consent but how is this done?

Any ideas?

If you have no choice but to mail any correspondence you can always send it overnight. It costs more, but you may not have a choice. If you're living in the same province, though, regular mail is usually only 2-3 days.

Comment

A trial managment conference is an informal procedure, albeit an important one. Your brief will not form part of the continuing record and will be tossed after the conference.

Again, this is an important event, and you should prepare for it well. But you aren't going to be held to it, and you don't have to settle then.

All that said, you're pretty close to trial now, and the heat will be turned up by the judge to get you to settle at the conference.

Can't you and your supporting cast try to get something done?

Comment

Thanks for the replies!

I actually just found out from the court clerks when I went to file my trial brief(just witness list and some procedural issues-ex will not provide financial disclosure) that I am only scheduled in assignment court and not scheduled for a trial mgt. conference.

I went to a lawyer twice and she gave me advice that I had to do this step. The Order states to come on FEB XX with a witness list and an accurate estimate of time needed for trial to set a trial date. I guess I went to all that trouble for nothing. She said I did not need to file this, that the judge would NOT be reading it as it was assignment court.

I guess we have skipped the trial management conference step, we had an informal impromptu motions day turned settlement conference and I asked in my motion to set a date for trial.

Do I need to file a 14C for assignment court?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X