Reached an agreement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HardWorkingDad View Post
    Well their lawyer did put in the clause that my ex would forever be exempt from owning CS unless there was a material change...
    It happens all the time. It shouldn't but it does. If the clause is challenged- then it probably wouldn't hold up.

But for 12K difference in salary, let it go.

People re-marry other people with 200k+ salaries...the household incomes become disparate...but the courts don't care, so what are you going to do? Nothing.
    Last edited by iona6656; 01-29-2020, 05:16 PM.

Comment

To give an update on this.

My ex and I have yet to sign off on our SA.
      I hired a lawyer and had him review the SA. He said it was good and recommended we make small changes like splitting the child tax benefit when we go 50 50 and adding no status quo to be held when we go to 50 50 in 1.5yrs.
      Otherside fired back with accepting our proposed changes but took out the no status quo and instead put that the parties intention would be to go 50 50 but dependent on the best needs of the children(if they have a hard time adjusting to two extra overnights with Dad.)
      We wrote back proposing that should the parties disagree on the best interests, that we use our Dispute Resolution clause and go back to mediation.

That was over a week ago.

My ex's lawyer takes 2 -3 weeks to reply. I stopped asking my lawyer to nudge her lawyer for any updates as it was adding up in costs. I'm tempted to let my lawyer go, and only use him to sign off when the agreement is ready. This way I can email my ex's lawyer myself at no charge.

Is taking 2 - 3 weeks normal in lawyer world to get back to the other party? We have an agreed date of when to go 50 50 so stalling for status quo time seems kinda not right.
      This is the same lawyer who came back with adding the clause that my ex wouldn't need to pay CS when we go 5050, no matter how high my ex income may be. In 1.5yrs it will only amount to 170 - 200 dollars a month in CS so not exactly worth the fight and financial resources to go after that.

Comment

Is taking 2 - 3 weeks normal in lawyer world to get back to the other party?
        Again, your case is very similar to my case in the details. In my situation, we had an agreement 95% done, and it was the fine details going back and forth between my ex (who was now self-repping) and my lawyer that added up significant costs. Constantly going back and forth on details and semantics to the point where I said "enough" and signed the f'n document.

With regards to your question on time for lawyer to get back to other party? Remember, your case is important to you, but you are also one of many clients to your lawyer where you are seen as a file. He/she is juggling many other cases and files and approaches each one based on priority and urgency. I recall myself being upset for my lawyer not getting back to me, only to learn he was up till 4am the past few nights dealing with an emergency motion to prevent a child abduction in another one of his files.... I quickly learned that my case, although important and urgent to me, was not urgent at all in the greater scheme of things...

Comment

Its the other side's lawyer that takes 2-3 weeks to respond to my lawyer.

Comment

Its the other side's lawyer that takes 2-3 weeks to respond to my lawyer.
            That is obviously done on purpose. You are the one wanting the agreement in place, and your ex is the reluctant one, as she feels she is giving away control and time. Its common for feet dragging... Do you have any upcoming court dates such as Settlement Conference? Document the delay, it will only make her look petty.

Comment

No. We are not in court. We were in mediation but moved on to having our lawyers deal with it. I've agreed to everything and each time we wait 2 - 3 weeks for a reply. It took a whole week and some just for otherside's lawyer to say that they were going put of town end of week and may he able to get something. They never did.
              Now with the latest it's been 1.5 weeks. Every email my lawyer has sent, it's been stating that we are looking to finalize and move on.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X