Master's Degree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Master's Degree

Has anyone had to deal with a child doing a Master's Degree?

My ex has signed off on CS for my DD as of June of this year. Our DD will be starting her Master's in September. The three of us have met and decided that she will manage on her own and her mom and I will help out the best we can.

HOWEVER, we have been dealing with the courts for our DS. At our Settlement conference the judge was dealing with issues very quickly, got wind that our DD was doing her Master's and assumed that CS will be continuing. I don't think my ex caught wind of that but I am now preparing to challenge this when we go back in September.

Does anyone have any insight on this and how to best deal with it? I have a second family - 3 kids aged 2, 4 and 6. I am 100% supportive for degree #1 but don't believe I should be forced to pay CS and tuition for degree #2.

On another note, my DS lives away from home and has since her 2nd year of university. She has never come home for the summer (except for a few days here and there) and has no intention of ever living at home again.

Normally its limited to one undergratuate degree.

If your ex or yourself have advanced degrees there may be a case that there's an expectation of the child going for a graduate degree. Especially if its been discussed as an expectation for the child.

Farden v Farden lays out some tests about whether or not post secondary support should continue. If you look on canlii for child support masters degree there are a lot of cases.

Thankfully my ex and I agree to only a full time undergrad degree at the lower of Ontario university fees or actual. (Ex wants him to become a medical professional)

Out of curiosity - if your DS is no longer living with your ex, are you paying CS directly to him now?

Comment

Many graduate programmes (MA, MSc, PhD) provide funding for students in the form of a teaching assistantship (TA) or research assistantship (RA) sometimes just called a graduate assistantship (GA). This typically covers tuition and provides a small stipend to live on, in exchange for a set number of hours the student works assisting professors with research or teaching. Maybe check whether your daughter's programme offers TA/RA/GA support? This could bring the price tag down quite a bit.

Comment

I have read on Canlii that some judges will make you pay for the Master's degree and some will not....

if you want to fight it, use this arguement below.

CanLII - 2008 SKQB 520 (CanLII)

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X