Custody of grandkids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by arabian View Post
    did I miss something? I don't see any mention of the mother being heavily involved in the children's lives.
    Originally posted by gramma
    She has always been in their lives, although more like a sibbling than a parent.
    Grandparents generally don't do well in family law. This case is different because gramma actually has custody. I'm not clear on how CAS gives custody, so maybe she doesn't actually have custody, but I'm not sure.

At the very least, I don't think this is a case that will be resolved quickly. If the mother is able to demonstrate a genuine turnaround, things could possibly go in her favour. This likely requires a full trial, I don't think a motion for summative judgement will fly here.

Comment

The only way to ensure these children would never be taken from you is if you legally adopted them. There is a difference between having legal custody, and CAS asking you to take custody. There is also Kinship Care through CAS. Do you receive financial assistance from CAS?

Your daughter will have to prove that she is capable of being a parent.

It's a tough decision for you after having them for 10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by gramma View Post
        yes I do have sole custody

When you say sole custody, were moms rights as a parent removed by the courts? Did the children become crown wards before granting you sole custody?

If the children were not crown wards and you just have sole custody, this is similar to one parent having sole custody. That doesn't mean the other parent has no access rights and change in circumstances can change custody/access.

I am sure CAS will want to know if the children were back in her care more than the parenting plan stated and it would be worth a call to your case worker/agency. I am sure they could help you out in some form.

Mom has obviously been in their lives and I assume they know she is their mother? A gradual transition back into moms care may not be a bad thing for the children if mom can get her life together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I thank you all for the advice and tips etc. I have talked with the lawyer as well as CAS and will work it out. I will see how it all goes. Thank you again, I really appreciate everything on this site!!!

Comment

All the best to you going forward gramma. Thanks for sharing with us.

Comment

Thank you Arabian!! A wealth of information on here...thank you to everyone!!!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X